New to the game, starting with Jack Daw

english_boar

Hey all,

I am just coming in to the game and looking at using a 50ss Jack Daw list to start with potentially.

As a background, I go with 'Rule of Cool' on armies and lists as I get more buy in with that force.

As such, I have come up with this:
Jack Daw
Lady Ligeia
Montresor
Jaakuna Ubume
Guilty x2
Drowned
Hanged
Malifaux Child

I was considering dropping the Malifaux Child and Drowned for another Hanged.

I wanted to see how effective this maybe or if I am just going to be frustrated by it.

I am not worried about being competitive, but I want it to be fun to play.

Any help appreciated

:)

So first of all.. welcome to the game! 

Now for the main meat: 

you crew looks solid and 2x hanged are never going to be a bad idea as the are really good.

this crew is a lot of fun to play as but be warned.. they are akin to play black discard in MTG. They can be super powerful and delightfully sadistic in game terms, but they can be very frustrating for the opponent.

this crews challenge for you to learn is going to be maximizing their unconventional movement. They have a lot of pushes and hanged and daw basically teleport to enemies. 

You are about to have a lot if fun with this crew... 

maybe try out dead outlaws too

I'd recommend dropping the Drowned, I've found them very meh.  However, at the same cost of 6 (drowned are 6 right..?) I recommend Dead Outlaws.  They're great for flank scheming, and Run and Gun (they can shoot after a charge) lets them surprise position and attack your oppononts.  Also, the don't suffer from friendly fire with Tormented Models, so you don't need to dedicate your entire crew into melee, gives a little more flexibility.

Also, they're strong in Parker, if you ever pick up Parker

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, psychogeek said:

this crew is a lot of fun to play as but be warned.. they are akin to play black discard in MTG. They can be super powerful and delightfully sadistic in game terms, but they can be very frustrating for the opponent.

this crews challenge for you to learn is going to be maximizing their unconventional movement. They have a lot of pushes and hanged and daw basically teleport to enemies. 

Malifaux has quite a few crews with this dynamic, in my opinion.  It's one of the areas of the game I'm a little more iffy about.  Of course it's possible to have a negative play experience in anything, but straightforward beat 'em up type games usually lets both sides use their stuff.  Whereas a lot of Malifaux crews are based on control or resource manipulation that, if they work, can deny your opponent any real counter play, and if they don't, they often relegate you to a spectator. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, LeperColony said:

Malifaux has quite a few crews with this dynamic, in my opinion.  It's one of the areas of the game I'm a little more iffy about.  Of course it's possible to have a negative play experience in anything, but straightforward beat 'em up type games usually lets both sides use their stuff.  Whereas a lot of Malifaux crews are based on control or resource manipulation that, if they work, can deny your opponent any real counter play, and if they don't, they often relegate you to a spectator. 

I agree, control is a part of the game but it’s also not a game about just killing things. Playing the strategy and schemes is huge! 

I like the idea of the Crooked Man.

So, I am toying with this idea initially now:
Jack Daw
Lady Ligeia
Montresor (9)
Jaakuna Ubume (8)
Guilty x2 (10)
Hanged (8)
Crooked Man (7)
Malifaux Child (3)

The other thought is to risk it and have no ss leftover but get rid of the Malifaux Child and take another Hanged.

I would actually caution going too light on stones if you have jack as a leader.

Although Jack might be less stone intensive for damage prevention consider that 

Jack, montresor and hanged can rely on hitting their good attack triggers to work most effectively so you need those stones to buy suits to guarantee getting the effect you want. Especially on your heels for movement and execute for putting even more pressure on their hand. 

I agree on the child, never found a place for him in my crews now, just like you seems to have less good targets in this edition. 

6 hours ago, S4lt said:

Personally I would drop the child. Not sure what he brings in a Daw crew. You can afford to be lighter than other crews on soulstone cache so I would take another hanged.