Limestone Caverns

lusciousmccabe

So, I'm actually making this terrain for my Warhammer Night Goblins (which I'll likely never play with) but I figured I'd post them here as they could easily be used for Malifaux either.

Unlike my city board (which I'll get around to finishing at some stage, I swear) no forward planning or measuring went into these terrain pieces. I'm basically just messing around with the materials I have and some techniques I've seen from videos to see what I can make. It's a pretty refreshing experience, but pretty easy to get bogged down in at the same time. 

Hopefully this thread will help me keep track of things and give people some ideas for their own terrain.

The first major element of my imaginary cave board is some stepped hills/ rock formations. I made them out of some expanding foam I had left over from a disastrous DIY project, although I must admit I did buy the foam with terrain in mind after seeing this video

Making formations with this stuff is really easy. Just squirt a bunch of irregular blobs of it on some baking paper and flatten out the bottom of it. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of the raw foam, but here are how some of the pieces looked after I started cutting them up to make them more playable. 

P0o6tcDl.jpg

dV5kSH0l.jpg    nnI7a2Wl.jpg

I then coated them with a mixture of wall filler, paint and sand to give a better texture and stop the foam reacting with spraypaint later down the line. I'm making taller impassable pieces which are meant to connect with the roof of the cave as well and you can see a few of them in this picture.

bgysu5Al.jpg

And I added a texture to the top of the flattened areas to match my gobbo bases. It's made with a mixture of marla and milliput and a "cobblestone" roller from greenstuff world. I don't think the surface looks anything like cobblestones, but in my mind the goblins fill the cave with filth to grow mushrooms in, so I'll be painting it as stone showing through dirt. 

JvG50Rhl.jpg

tPqqAADl.jpg

XZCXHN7l.jpg

The final touches are going to be pools of water and stalagmites/stalactites. Having stalactites in workable terrain is tricky, so I though a good way to include them was by cutting this to have an overhang. It'll be filled with some sort of water effect later, probably with some nuisance as I needed to fix the base on to connect some of the columns. 

KKZ9LPLl.jpg

I was using paper and toothpicks for the stalactites following some DnD related videos on youtube, mostly this one. That was actually kind of annoying and I decided to just cover them over in before they set, which may not have been such a good idea. Probably could have just used filler from the get go, but I think the paper maché idea does have some merit, if you have the patience to wait for it to dry. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another work in progress. This is a big stalagmite/stalactite column thing. Basically just a pillar but trying to give the cave feeling and work in the idea of there being a ceiling.

Should probably getting around to finishing some pieces before building more but smushing together random junk really is the fun part of this project. 

jGWQxsfl.jpg

DZ8zUozl.jpg

pHUsrl1l.jpg

yByHlFpl.jpg

pVPDvd7l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Some of this stuff has actually gotten painted!

Had to switch the bases for mdf as the cardboard ones warped badly. The foam seems to continue expanding for a long time which also caused to the initial coats of paint to crack.

Was an easy enough fix, but I think if I'm ever using expanding foam again ill go heavier on the wall filler, cut the pieces into smaller chunks and glue them straight to rigid bases.

First piece.

Was originally going to have an overhang and water-feature but the warped base ruined so I went for something simpler.

Was considering using some of greenstuffworld's spider serum on parts like the arch, but it's very fragile and probably not suited to terrain.

Main thing I learned from this piece is that large expanses of rock are surprisingly hard to make paint interestingly, so I should have used some other material to break it up.

JftV6hil.jpg

EXQhKUAl.jpg

VziL5TQl.jpg

• Like 1

These two pieces are more practical, and I think look a lot better. They've a good playable area and mix of natural surfaces.

Not quite sure what the best way to paint stalagmites. Seems like with a zenithal light they'd have no shadow or highlight and I'm not sure directional lighting works for terrain. Think I'll break them up with some moss or something on future. You don't actually see that in nature, but I figure these caverns have been opened up by mining, so stuff from the surface can get down in there.

QrepfMH.jpg

Xo27tWJ.jpg

41Repxm.jpg

xGG7p1a.jpg

dxo3A1Z.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...