Wandering River Monks

ElPuto

Opinions on the Monks?

They seem good enough to scheme-running with Butterfly Jump and Leap, but their defensive stats are meh. They're obviously expensive, but are they effective for their cost?

What are they supposed to be? Just a mixed-arts model?

Anyone having success with them? Maybe with Shenlong (just because... thematic)?

Leap is pretty awesome on a scheme runner. Move your Cg ignoring terrain for a 0 action? Yes please. That leap is longer than the 4" distance between scheme markers. So one Monk can lay down two markers in a turn. Or one and move a long distance. Or none and move nearly half the board. They're in the same boat as Silurids. They're pricey for scheme runners (same ss cost, actually), but they just do it really well.

Unlike Silurids, they have Butterfly Jump which can save you in a pinch. As long as they're near terrain you have to position really well to hit them or they will push out of LoS or range and your attack fails. Same thing makes them nearly impossible to engage in Ml. It's like Pandoras Fading Memories, except it doesn't require you to pass a Wp roll but is 1" less.

• Like 1

Leaps 7'' on a 6 of any suit. That's most of what you need to know really. Very master agnostic. Anything that requires moving or interacting a lot is good for them. Far as GG18 strats go, I find one to be a pretty appealing pick for Symbols of Authority. Their main defensive ability is the fact that enemy shouldn't have a good shoot/charge line on them.

Don't solely focus on leap though. I started getting more mileage out of them once I realised their opportunistic offensive potential. They can leap 7'', Focus+2 for 1AP and then shoot Ca6 1/3/4 with 8'' range. Or, less often, charge/punch with their ml5 2/3/4. I've sniped a fair few targets of opportunity while leaping towards objectives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Leap is pretty awesome on a scheme runner. Move your Cg ignoring terrain for a 0 action? Yes please. That leap is longer than the 4" distance between scheme markers. So one Monk can lay down two markers in a turn. Or one and move a long distance. Or none and move nearly half the board. They're in the same boat as Silurids. They're pricey for scheme runners (same ss cost, actually), but they just do it really well.

Unlike Silurids, they have Butterfly Jump which can save you in a pinch. As long as they're near terrain you have to position really well to hit them or they will push out of LoS or range and your attack fails. Same thing makes them nearly impossible to engage in Ml. It's like Pandoras Fading Memories, except it doesn't require you to pass a Wp roll but is 1" less.

So they're good! Thanks mate, was wondering on what buying next between Crime Bosses or them.

2 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Leaps 7'' on a 6 of any suit. That's most of what you need to know really. Very master agnostic. Anything that requires moving or interacting a lot is good for them. Far as GG18 strats go, I find one to be a pretty appealing pick for Symbols of Authority. Their main defensive ability is the fact that enemy shouldn't have a good shoot/charge line on them.

Don't solely focus on leap though. I started getting more mileage out of them once I realised their opportunistic offensive potential. They can leap 7'', Focus+2 for 1AP and then shoot Ca6 1/3/4 with 8'' range. Or, less often, charge/punch with their ml5 2/3/4. I've sniped a fair few targets of opportunity while leaping towards objectives.

As above, they seem pretty good at doing scheme-running and they can mix up a bit with Ml or Ca, so they can be a good next buy.

Bringing that kind of mobility in a scheme pool that rewards it (symbols of authority, breakthrough, etc) means your enemy needs to devote resources for a hard counter or you will rake in the points. Because this model can be well into the backfield turn 1 with push and fast. Probably takes an average of 10ss worth of strength your enemy needs to peel away from his front line to take care of these pesky buggers.

If the scheme pool doesn't reward the mobility then they have no real use.

• Like 1