Ramos, the beginning

Frozen Feet

Hello everybody.

I am an Arcanist player for almost 3 years now, but I never played Ramos so far..

Now I am going to field him in a tournament game.

Strategy: Squatters Rights

Deployment: Corner

Schemes: will be selected before the game

Some general advice would be nice.

-The crew

-The upgrades to take

-The playstyle

etc. ..

In my opinion 5 markers to conquer are a very nice setting for the spider sommoning Ramos and his itsy bitsy mechanical friends.

Thanks a lot

Tobi

Joss and Howard are thrmatic and fun. Mobile toolkit for nice buffs, some construct (electrical creation?) that Joss can kill for double scrap. Ramos' totem that drops a card to get tomes on all its casts and reacivates itself to then reactivate both Joss and Langston if you luck out on decent cards/flips. Imbued energies on Langston and Joss. Fill up the rest to taste.

Squatters can be tough for Ramos, since as a summoner he usually needs a turn or two to build the engine.  By that time, an opponent who has selected a more mobile crew might already occupy several of the markers.  In which case you are already behind since then you have to kill or move opposing models before doing your interacts.  In addition, squatters games usually end up spreading you out, and I like Ramos best when he takes his construct auras and buffs his crew.  

For general Ramos crew composition you need to start with a way to guarantee scrap markers to summon off of.   I find I am taking 1-2 steamfitters w Ramos these days.  Haven't decided yet if I really like 2, but it sure does near guarantee you keep the high card you need to keep summoning 2-3 spiders a turn and provides a lot more scrap markers than the Joss Toolkit combo.  I at least take 1.  Like others have said, Joss is usually a good take and not only for the scrap he provides.  Johan is solid too.  Remember that if you take Ramos' buff upgrades, constructs are the only ones who benefit.  Mech rider is great to double down on the summoning, but now his 8tomes he needs on turn 2 can directly compete with a 2 spider summon, so he may cause your summoning to get a lot more resource intensive.  Outside of additional constructs, feel free to take good standalone arcanist models for the strat/scheme pool.  

As far a game play, Ramos seems to work best for me when I capitalize on his aura buffs for constructs.  His upgrades can give him nice options depending on what you want to do.  Giving constructs positive attack flips and/or defensive flips is a huge relief for your hand, especially with how many models you usually end up having.  Powered by Flame is also a nice, but expensive, buff to put on someone like Joss to increase the dmg output of your spiders.  

For Ramos in Corner Squatters I would start by hiring Myranda w IE, Mech Rider, and a Steamfitter.  Double walk Myranda towards one corner and shapechange into a Blessed of December. Gives you great card draw to find a high tome for summoning, and Blesseds have a great guaranteed leap to claim squat markers.  They can also reliably eat fast scheme runners which will be out there on the corners with them.  Take the Mech Rider and double walk him to the other corner.  Take steamfitter and start dropping scrap for Ramos to summon off of.  Ramos, spiders, and rest of crew will do their best to compete in the center.