General upgrade decks?

Paul7926

Sorry as I'm sure this is a question that probably gets asked a lot but I couldn't find an answer.  Maybe the answer has changed over time as well so I'm asking for your help.

I've just started playing, I've picked Outcasts and I have some basic models on their way to me (hired swords, hired guns, Vanessa).  So I'm sorted for models for a while because I intend to try and learn the game with those models (they seem to be the most new player friendly).

So about the only thing I have left to consider are the general upgrade decks as I'll only have the upgrades that come with those models.  I suspect I'm probably getting a little too 'fancy' here and that I may not need them which prompts the question.

Do I need these decks given my self imposed limit on models?  I don't want to drop money for something where I will use only ever use one or two of the cards.  I don't want to not get them if they are really useful.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Paul7926 said:

Sorry as I'm sure this is a question that probably gets asked a lot but I couldn't find an answer.  Maybe the answer has changed over time as well so I'm asking for your help.

I've just started playing, I've picked Outcasts and I have some basic models on their way to me (hired swords, hired guns, Vanessa).  So I'm sorted for models for a while because I intend to try and learn the game with those models (they seem to be the most new player friendly).

So about the only thing I have left to consider are the general upgrade decks as I'll only have the upgrades that come with those models.  I suspect I'm probably getting a little too 'fancy' here and that I may not need them which prompts the question.

Do I need these decks given my self imposed limit on models?  I don't want to drop money for something where I will use only ever use one or two of the cards.  I don't want to not get them if they are really useful.

Thanks.

I personally would recommend General Upgrade deck before you buy any more models. There are some upgrades in it that see all my outcast lists. (Thank you oathkeeper). Whilst learning to play, you may not want to use too many upgrades, but as soon as you feel comfortable to switch around what you use, you can change your game style often with some different upgrades. (even if you use the same crew).  General upgrade deck 2 is still useful. but less so. (it has fewer upgrades, but is cheaper)

You can try and save money by splitting the deck with friends who play different factions,. I think if you are only buying it for 1 faction, you might be better off buying the upgrades from wargames vault, but by the time you are splitting it with someone, or want 2 factions, I think getting the box is best value. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  I have no intention of increasing my model pool for some time and even then I doubt I'll go out of faction.  I have a reasonable grounding in other games system that mean I'm Ok with upgrades even though I don't have many Malifaux games under my belt.  

I think I'll keep my eye open for a copy locally and pick it up if I see it but I'll not rush to order it straight away.

• 3 weeks later...

This is also something I have considered since I'm new as well. I have a question though. Can you  photo copy the book and use that in game? I do plan on enter in an occasional tournament locally (well 2hr drive is closest...) and will only have book photocopies for one or two upgrade cards that I don't have. Is this accepted? Or should I order the cards I need? Don't have a nearby store to play and so far just playing with my son and theoryfauxing.