Unboxing Malifaux - 'Carlos Vasquez'

GMort

Thank you for another great unboxing. Unfortunately I got my Carlos last week, so this was the first time I didn't have one of these for reference. I'm confident in my modeling skills, but it felt strange not being able to double check some things.

Agreed, it feels incredibly fragile to have the whole model balancing on three tiny wisps of flame and connecting to one of the thinnest supporting parts. Still, I must find a way to get him to the field in one piece, just to be able to call out the name of his attack.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amdor said:

Thank you for another great unboxing. Unfortunately I got my Carlos last week, so this was the first time I didn't have one of these for reference. I'm confident in my modeling skills, but it felt strange not being able to double check some things.

Agreed, it feels incredibly fragile to have the whole model balancing on three tiny wisps of flame and connecting to one of the thinnest supporting parts. Still, I must find a way to get him to the field in one piece, just to be able to call out the name of his attack.

My modelling skills are horrible, but I just had an idea! If you base him on a street type base you could perhaps file the contact points on the flames to fit in the cracks and make it a tad bit sturdier, dont know if it will work or not but could be worth a try :D!

Related to @Stur's recommendation: you can use a modelling putty like Green Stuff to build up a stronger contact point by making it look like the flames are spreading over the ground.

For storage/transport, I'm using a pluck-foam tray that's deep enough to fully contain the 40mm base on its side, and I used a couple pieces of the removed foam to make a support platform for his upper body. So far it's been reliable.

2 hours ago, Franchute said:

After fighting with Brass arachnid and Howard Langston to make them fit onto their base, Carlos Vasquez will be a piece of cake :D

He seemed to sit solidly on the base for me. After the two models you mentioned and a pack of Wind Gamin it seemed like he had a ton of plastic in contact with the base. I think I had a harder time basing the Mage with the swooshy magic thing than I did with Carlos.

1 hour ago, H4ml3t said:

The basing was fine for me but I worry about the one time joint between his shoulder and arm supporting all of his weight. So far so good though.

If you use the platic melty glue to attach his arm isn't it that almost going to be as strong as a single piece of plastic once it cures?

That's an actual question meant to be amswered by someone that actually knows and not some sort of rhetorical question.

I worry with any piece that small whether it's solid or a joint. Normal use should be ok but a drop could be bad. I have occasional clumsy moments and as a Henchman my models get used by others too. I just have to hope for the best and keep glue handy.

Not just dropping him. If you accidentally swipe at him and catches his body or the top flames you'll get a lot of stress on the connecting torch. With a pin connecting his body to the base I think he will survive a lot more "clumsy moments". :) Personally I don't mind this kind of pin even if it's in plain sight like this one would be, but I guess some would consider it unsightly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not an unboxing point, but using Carlos and a Performer as a double-team is quite good.  

The Performer can pull him around after her, and is dangerous enough that  the opponent can't just ignore her and try and take down the tank Vasquez instead.  But when they do focus on her, he gets Reactivate if she is killed...

• Like 1