Yin's 'Gnawing Fear'

Limitless

Question

Hey guys, 

Long time lurker first time poster. I had a couple of situations come up with Yin recently, specifically with Gnawing Fear. I'm just looking to clarify the extent of the condition.

The condition specifies the target model gains ":-fate on all Ca and Wp duels". I was wondering if this means both simple and opposed duels are affected which include Ca or Wp in any way? 

I have two  specific examples:

One  was to target a model with Gnawing Fear then have the Nothing Beast hit it for it's built in trigger to force a WP duel or become buried, would Gnawing Fear effect this opposed duel and the following WP duel? 

Secondly was to target Toshiro (with his summoning upgrade) with Gnawing Fear. Would Toshiro be on :-fate if he tried to summon?

On first reading I would say yes to my own question, but it just feels so strong if I build around it that it's almost unfair.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for any help!

5 answers to this question

To clarify on @Thimblesage point,

What "type" of duel it is varies based on what stat the individual model is using.  This typically means that the two models involved in an opposed dual will consider it different "types" of duel.  Take the Nothing Beast for example.

His Obliterate attack is Ca 7:tome/ Rst: Wp.   That means from the Nothing Beast's perspective, this is a cast duel.  From the Target's perspective, this is a Willpower duel.  If either of them have Yin's debuff on them, they will be at :-fate on their flip for the duel.

Yes, Yin is very mean.   Gnawing fear is a really big part of her value though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Clement said:

What "type" of duel it is varies based on what stat the individual model is using.  This typically means that the two models involved in an opposed dual will consider it different "types" of duel.  Take the Nothing Beast for example.

Thanks Undertaker, I wish I was as succinct as you. 

To back this up here is a call-out box from the rule book, Pg. 31

Duel Stat Types
Sometimes the rules will refer to duels by their relevant stat type, such as "Wp Duel." This is a reference to the stat a model is using to make the duel, and it is specific to the model.
For instance, when an Attack pits the Attacker's Sh against a target's Df, the Attacker is making a Sh duel, and the defender is making a Df duel.

• Like 1

duels are affected which include Ca or Wp in any way? 

Not in any way, if a model with the Gnawing Fear condition makes a Ml attack targeting another models Wp, it is not a global Wp duel and would not receive negatives. Yes, the Gnawing Fear condition reads "all duels" not "this model's duels" however the Wp stat is the resisted stat and doesn't make it a Wp duel for the attacking model.