Pushes and Impassible

Hollow

Question

Hi, I'm little confused with pushes wording. It says:
The pushed model cannot pass through impassable objects (such as other models, or walls) or climb. If a pushed model comes into contact with an object that is impassible, the pushed model stops in base contact with the object.
So, for example model stays on the roof of building. Rulebook offers to consider it as enclosed, impassable, blocking, and roof is a vantage point. Intuitively, I understand that I can push across the surface of the roof, but push wording says that I shoul stop in base contact with Impassible. So how can I determine building traits to make it be in accordance with rulebook? Can terrain traits be applied not to whole peaces of terrain but to certain surfaces, e.g. edges are Impassible but roof is vantage point only (not Impassible).
Another case. Let's say we have a platphorm Ht 1", Impassible. How can I determine it in terms of terrain traits to make it possible to walk and push on it? I can't determine top surface as vantage point since it's less then 2". And as Rulemook says "Models cannot enter impassable areas of terrain". How can I determine stairs leading to such platform?
Sorry for such stupid question, but I really want to understand how to determine terrain in terms of rulebook traits correctly.

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, hollow1351 said:

Hi, I'm little confused with pushes wording. It says:
The pushed model cannot pass through impassable objects (such as other models, or walls) or climb. If a pushed model comes into contact with an object that is impassible, the pushed model stops in base contact with the object.
So, for example model stays on the roof of building. Rulebook offers to consider it as enclosed, impassable, blocking, and roof is a vantage point. Intuitively, I understand that I can push across the surface of the roof, but push wording says that I shoul stop in base contact with Impassible. So how can I determine building traits to make it be in accordance with rulebook? Can terrain traits be applied not to whole peaces of terrain but to certain surfaces, e.g. edges are Impassible but roof is vantage point only (not Impassible).
Another case. Let's say we have a platphorm Ht 1", Impassible. How can I determine it in terms of terrain traits to make it possible to walk and push on it? I can't determine top surface as vantage point since it's less then 2". And as Rulemook says "Models cannot enter impassable areas of terrain". How can I determine stairs leading to such platform?
Sorry for such stupid question, but I really want to understand how to determine terrain in terms of rulebook traits correctly.

The expectation is that you apply different traits to different parts of a structure when it has obviously conflicting traits like Climbable and Impassible.  More importantly, it's quite reasonable to have a building where the sides are Hard Cover but the top isn't.

If you look at the description of Enclosed, it suggests a similar situation for buildings.  The walls are Climbable and Impassible because a model can't move through the wall but can climb up and over them.

And, take note of the distinction the Eclosed rules make about being "in" a building as opposed to being "on" the building.

• Like 1

Aside from Solkan's excellent explanation on different parts of a terrain piece having sifferent traits it might be helpful to make an on the spot houserule when you define stuff with your opppnent and not stareyourself blid on particular wordings. Regardless of terrain rules I usually just do a quick walktrhrough of how I want a terrain piece to work. Something like "this piece is inpassable and grants cover but you are allowed to stand on it and then it doesn't grant cover for you" or something. Sometimes that might not be in 100% accordance to how a terrai rule is worded but those are mostly there to give you and your opponent a good guideline of how to define stuff. As long as you are agreed before the game, how you get there usually isn't as important.

Thanx for your answers. I have few additional questions. If I understand you correctly, I can determine no trait for some surfaces at all. See picture below. Can side surfaces be determined as climbable and top surface of platform and stairs' top part have no trait? And one more question. Push wording says: " The pushed model cannot pass through impassable objects or climb". What does it mean "climb" in such context? It's not allowed to push through climbable or change model's vertical position during push. Can I, for example, start push from the ground, push through the stairs and end standing on the top of platform?

platphorm.png

On 04/03/2017 at 4:49 PM, hollow1351 said:

Thanx for your answers. I have few additional questions. If I understand you correctly, I can determine no trait for some surfaces at all. See picture below. Can side surfaces be determined as climbable and top surface of platform and stairs' top part have no trait? And one more question. Push wording says: " The pushed model cannot pass through impassable objects or climb". What does it mean "climb" in such context? It's not allowed to push through climbable or change model's vertical position during push. Can I, for example, start push from the ground, push through the stairs and end standing on the top of platform?

If you haven't given the stairs the climbable trait ( so it doesn't cost extra movement to go up them) then you can be pushed up the stairs. If you gave them the climbable trait then you can't.  I personally don't give stairs and hills Climbable but evry game is different, and you could.