closest thing to burning man cult in Malifaux

vilowek

Hey,

I really like fluff of the burning man's cult which is little bit lovecraftish/wh 40k chaotish. So humans and cults addicted/corrupted by some evil powers :). Is there anything similar in Malifaux in fluff? I mean i would lve to play in Malifaux with some crew with similar feeling or even if possible proxy/convert some minis based on the cult :)

So Tyrants - any Tyrant-influenced character - would probably be your interest. The Tyrants are the mysterious enemies of the Neverborn - and were once Neverborn themselves - who nearly conquered the world. In desperation, the Neverborn brought Death itself to touch the world, rendering them vulnerable; but in exchange, it shattered their culture and sanity.

They are definitely inspired by Lovecraft's Great Old Ones, locked away in the aftermath of a horrific battle where no one won. The Neverborn are afraid not of the humans, but of humans releasing the Tyrants in ignorance or greed...

And they are right to be afraid.

Hamelin was an ordinary murderer and thief living in the sewers, until a sudden storm washed him into the prison of a being known only as Plague for what it brought to Malifaux in the days before Kythera. It took him, remade him, and now rides him as it once again spreads the only thing it loves - with the help of rats and worse.

Whether they were called nightmares before Nytemare used them to feed on slumbering terrors is academic - at this point, they are one and the same. On one trip for a feast of fear, though, Nytemare found a little boy who had no fear in him, and in fact controlled his own dream so ably that Nytemare could do nothing but retreat back to Malifaux - then the little boy followed him! Now, that child treats the world of Malifaux as nothing but his own dream, and Nytemare (aka Lord Chompy Bits) tutors him and watches, wondering how he can use the Dreamer to his own advantage.

December's cult lives in the permanent icy grasp of the highest mountains, and the wintry chill has permeated all members - who are not afraid to extend the limited rations with a bit of cannibalism, if given the opportunity. Right now, Rasputina and December are almost one and the same; she speaks for him, and he empowers her. Who knows how long this alliance will last... but for now, they are united.

Sonnia Criid, chief Witch Hunter of the Guild, thought she knew magic. She thought she was wise. She thought she could control Cherufe. She is finding out that she was wrong, and Cherufe's flames are burning away her will to resist its commands - and once it wins, the next thing to burn will be the world.

Tara was a mercenary searching for her next big score when Obliteration invited her into its prison. She spent uncounted millennia wandering the maze, nearly losing her sanity, and she finally won through to the center and released Obliteration... then returned to the real world moments after she had entered, its blade in hand and its spirit part of her. On her way out, a sniper put a hole through her chest, and only the work of a Resurrectionist brought her back to a semblance of life, animated in part by the magic and in part by Obliteration.

Pandora is the Neverborn who dares to use the powers of an imprisoned Tyrant against the invaders of her land, and she should have known better. It touched her mind, warping her, and now she seems almost as willing to strike at her fellows as at the hated humans - and is much more willing to use the power trapped in the box than she should be.

There are a few more tyrants, but those are the ones whose motivations we know the most.

Oh, and it's entirely possible that the Burning Man was created as a result of the Guild's Governor's attempt to become a Tyrant. At this point, we don't know for sure.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

Sonnia Criid, chief Witch Hunter of the Guild, thought she knew magic. She thought she was wise. She thought she could control Cherufe. She is finding out that she was wrong, and Cherufe's flames are burning away her will to resist its commands - and once it wins, the next thing to burn will be the world.

Cherufe left Sonnia to become half of the Burning Man in her Ripple of Fate vignette.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bengt said:

Cherufe left Sonnia to become half of the Burning Man in her Ripple of Fate vignette.

Well this is what I get for being so poor that I can only afford books or minis, not both. :P

...I... don't feel like that's a joke. I really want to read all the fiction, but my access to it is sharply limited - and the Through the Breach podcasts do not interest me. I don't like listening to stories, even if it's the only way I can hear them, and trying the podcasts just reminded me of that fact.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 5:13 PM, iamfanboy said:

...I... don't feel like that's a joke. I really want to read all the fiction, but my access to it is sharply limited - and the Through the Breach podcasts do not interest me. I don't like listening to stories, even if it's the only way I can hear them, and trying the podcasts just reminded me of that fact.

Breachside Broadcasts, not Through the Breach.  :P