What do you want in 2017

OldManMyke

As I write its just a few weeks to the Nationals where we will see 128 players take part in the biggest Malifaux singles event ever held - beating the record we set last year.  In the 3 years I have been running the nationals we have gone 66 -> 88 -> 128 and if we had the space then we could probably have got to 140-150 this year.

But this post isn't really about that, its about what you, the community, want for next year.

In my mind I had envisaged creating something that I have been calling WyrdFest, a 3 day celebration of all things Wyrd featuring the UK Nationals, alongside an Other Side tournament, Puppet Wars, EBO etc.  I was thinking of looking at having this in a hotel so we can do the whole on site thing that has worked very well for other systems - take a look at Smogcon for Warmachine as an example.  Now this obviously has cost implications - and I haven't modeled this all out - but to me, it seemed to be the logical next step from where the nationals have got to now, as well as reflecting the growing size of the community.

Of course, setting something like this up is a lot of time, effort and frankly financial risk, as deposits need to be paid etc.  This is all something that was prepared to do as I've done for things like Daffcon.

However there is a nagging little voice at the back of my head that says that perhaps it is time for someone else to have a go - there are no shortage of great TOs out there and perhaps one of them would like to have a shot so I guess the purpose of this post is to see if you guys want someone else to do it or if you think Wyrdfest is a step to far or ....

Basically i am looking for commentry on what you would like to see next year. 

Does that all make sense - hope so.

• Like 4

As long as we do get the big daddy two dayer I don't mind.

But I do think your WyrdFest idea has legs and is very exciting. Especially just the simplicity of having it all in one place (including accommodation), very jealous of the games that do that sort of thing regularly and miss that type of situation from my MtG playing days (had 2 epic weekends in Brighton and London in my early 20's).

In relation to "should you run it?" I agree you aren't the only one who could do the job but if you're enjoying it and have these big visions I also don't see why you should stop and I don't think anyone wants you too.

For me Nationals more than any other event should be about the community and as long as that thought is at the front I don't really mind.

• Like 1

I think this sounds like a grand idea! Tbh I would almost certainly attend something like this (the smogcon event we tacked onto was ace)

Also a 100% Faith you would pull this off flawlessly! 

Totally get your point on letting another person step up,(Like you said some great people stepping up and running events) and would agree if you was just running a straight up event, however this is a little more, a further development and would personally like to see you continue on the flag ship!

I think you run a great tournament and would personally love to see you keep running the nationals Mike.

Running something this size is a massive ball-ache and hard to do right, if anyone else should contact you and think they are up for the job then obviously you should think about giving them a crack at it or at least put it to the community.

With regards to Wyrd-Fest, it sounds like a great idea, the kind of thing I've wanted to go to for years and would love to see happen. However  I would suggest being able to just partake in the Nationals only though as a choice as a 2 dayer is a big enough commitment for a lot of people.  For me personally a 3-dayer throws up a whole host of problems which I'm sure it would for others too, time away from family, time off from work where an extra day is needed (it's hard enough to get the Saturday off for me) and obvious extra financial cost.

• Like 2

I think it's an excellent idea. Most people are booking 3 days for this year's nationals in anycase. Your organizational skills have been exemplary and for me if we go even bigger next year it's a lot to ask for someone to take on, as atleast you have been able to scale this up over a number of years. To go 150+ on first attempt is a massive task. 

I think that the idea of a long weekend dedicated to Wyrd would be brilliant. Might even manage to play their board games! Accommodation & gaming together is of course very attractive. But its a big investment in time and money and may be beyond the reach of some which in turn may limit numbers. Also don't forget that a 3 day event is a 4 dayer for those organising & setting up, so that needs to be considered as well.

For me the Nationals is about a pinnacle/flagship tournament that as many people as possible can attend. Its also pretty intense, even beyond the top tables, with 7 games in 2 days, and in recent years the evening shenanigans have dropped off, at least partially due to lack of energy after 4 games no doubt. Therefore the time/willingness to play other games at the same event may not be there. So, IMHO it should be 2 separate events.

Could Mike organise both, plus Daffcon - well I think he has the organisational skills & the time (I assume), but I think its a bit unfair to load one person with all that 'stuff'. So, if the community want 2 separate events I'll raise my hand to take on the Nationals (again) and whatever is decided you can be assured of my 100% support and assistance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

I would definitely be up for this, and would use it as an example to my gaming colleagues of the great reasons to join the Malifaux community.

I've always enjoyed the events you have run, and would be delighted if you organised this - presumably you have a group of people to delegate tasks to?

A common misconception.  Whilst I have a great set of folks who help me out at the actual event, 95%  of the org, prizes etc. Is me. And tbh, thats they way i prefer it, little bit of a control freak when it comes to this sort of thing :)

• Like 5