Hamelin crew strategies?

GR1MMJOW 666

To be honest I think the Ratjoy tactic is a trap. An experienced player will just absorb the hit and then kill Killjoy, and unlike the Tara bomb, or back when the Ratjoy bomb could be used by Leveticus and the Viktorias, where you usually throw two models into the mix, Killjoy is up the field, on his own, unsupported. Admittedly I've only tried it once myself, and my opponent was better than myself (that's always the way :)).

My preference is to play him as an Obey master with The Piper and The Plague, with one other upgrade depending on Schemes/Strats. Because I prefer to field some mercenary models around him the third upgrade is usually I Pay Better. Handing out Blighted to all and sundry is also a good idea, particularly if you can get it down early in the game (with The Plague on his Pipes attack, for example) so by turn five they have a heavy Blight load and you can wipe them out with Bleeding Disease.

I also summon one or two (preferably two if I can spare the stone and cards) Stolen a turn, turning them into rats the following turn so I can summon a Rat King each turn. That's not for activation control, generally my summoned rats are close enough that only one gets to activate before they turn into a Rat King, but Rat Kings are a very good minion, and nibbling on people's scheme markers can really frustrate any player who's relying on getting them down.

My starting Hamelin is typically, The Piper, The Plague, Obedient Wretch, Stolen, two Winged Plague (I use Wyrd's Twisted Imp models) and then whatever else I decide I need to perform the strategy and schemes.

I do like Bishop, although I don't have a lot of success with him, but the tome trigger to bypass hard to kill can be very handy against things like Stitched Together.

Basically beyond that core I mentioned it's a typical Outcast list. Sometimes a Librarian, a Trapper or two, Lazarus, Strongarm Suit, maybe Hannah, Rusty Alyce. Basically whatever you think you need to get the job done.

• Like 2

Survivalist is a must-have upgrade on hamelin.
Ashes and dust. You can obey him only once to perform attack actions but industrial age is a tactical action.
Add sever king to sacrifice A&D, "the piper-obey" and you can get 8-times a round a cast of industrial age which can wreck enemy crews hard if you placed ashes and dust right.
Hamelin also loves ashes and dust for all these condition-schemes. having all your heavy models in your team (hamelin, A&D, Nix) being immune to conditions is huge.

Another nice thing are the winged plague. they are really fast and "VERMIN" which means that they can get cheap reactivates from rat catchers. ppl tend to forget this
Walk 6 with flight and reactivate can get you some places ;)

• Like 4

The three upgrades I usually take on Hamelin are the Piper, the Plague, and Sewer King. Nobody really gives the draw ability from Sewer King much love, but I think it's great. It helps us get the cards we need for the Wretch to make rats, or those 8+ we need for Hamelin to make a Stolen or two in a turn. The Crooligans which we can hire off of Sewer King are really good too. I prefer them over the Winged Plague. I usually build my list with a 7 Soulstone cache, so I usually don't take Survivalist unless the schemes make me want it.

I'd say Ratjoy is a trap only if you use it every game when the schemes don't even need it. And even if you do need it, you'll need to evaluate the situation to see when and where the best place is for Killjoy to pop up. Be aware that if your opponent can chain activate, then that probably means a dead Killjoy.

And I recommend learn to use Nix well. He's hard to kill and is really annoying for your opponent if you're using him right.

• Like 1

I've had great success with Hamelin running with nothing but vermin, stolen and nihilists.

I bought two brotherhood of the rat boxes so I never run out of rats and generally get 2-3 rat kings without hiring them.

I find this style of build breaks "elite" lists by out activating and then luring key models in with Hamelin's pipes before hitting them with rat kings and numerous bleeding diseases etc.

I always start with 7 stones with Hamelin as I aim to summon 2 stolen per turn and create a rat king every turn.

From what I have experienced this style of crew doesn't work as well against other swarms but can at least compete with them due to the nature of the vermin tide and the way it re shapes itself and reforms as needed.

The models I have the least success with are rat kings who seem to be there often for nothing more than reactivating my rat kings.

I suggest picking up Kade for the additional lure and his amazing killing ability when surrounded by the swarm, Candy has also seen occasional use, I've failed to have any major success with crooligans but haven't used them enough to have a valid opinion.
I'm yet to pick up the winged plague but they look great in action (played against them once) and am yet to run the Nix dog pound gang but that is something else I'm toying with, I just don't know if Hamelin will be as effective when blight isn't abused.

• Like 1

A lot of good info, i went ahead and got the winged plague. Ill prolly be ordering A&D next because i LOVE the model and now that i have a use for him, im excited. I have a few neverborn crews so i do have access to kade and candy. Ill be playing my first few games with hamelin the rest of this week so ill see how it all flows. Appreciate all the info. Still following if more ideas arise

On 10/6/2016 at 7:58 AM, Vorschlag said:

I've had great success with Hamelin running with nothing but vermin, stolen and nihilists.

I bought two brotherhood of the rat boxes so I never run out of rats and generally get 2-3 rat kings without hiring them.

I find this style of build breaks "elite" lists by out activating and then luring key models in with Hamelin's pipes before hitting them with rat kings and numerous bleeding diseases etc.

I always start with 7 stones with Hamelin as I aim to summon 2 stolen per turn and create a rat king every turn.

From what I have experienced this style of crew doesn't work as well against other swarms but can at least compete with them due to the nature of the vermin tide and the way it re shapes itself and reforms as needed.

The models I have the least success with are rat kings who seem to be there often for nothing more than reactivating my rat kings.

I suggest picking up Kade for the additional lure and his amazing killing ability when surrounded by the swarm, Candy has also seen occasional use, I've failed to have any major success with crooligans but haven't used them enough to have a valid opinion.
I'm yet to pick up the winged plague but they look great in action (played against them once) and am yet to run the Nix dog pound gang but that is something else I'm toying with, I just don't know if Hamelin will be as effective when blight isn't abused.

Can you post up a sample list. I love the idea of running just the themed hamelin crew.

Off the top of my head, because Vorschlag is a regular opponent, I recall a list he played against my Jack Daw crew as being something like.

Hamelin, piper, plague, sewer king, 6 cache

Candy, oath keeper

Nix

Obedient Wretch

Rat Catcher

Rat Catcher

Stolen

Rat

Rat

Sacrificing Stolen to get rats, then combining rats to get Rat Kings, then giving Rat Kings reactivate from the Rat Catchers made for a very challenging game. Being able to sacrifice a Rat King to get a Rat Catcher and rat (as long as you don't have two Catchers on the board) is a good way to get rid of conditions without losing models.

Something like that.

Candy and Nix are both situational (depending on what I expect from my opponent, I would go as far as to say Kade is often better because of the Lure.

The foundation is start with two stolen - sack for rat king (summon another two stolen when you activate Hamelin later in the turn- try to produce a rat king every turn)
Obedient wretch for throwing rats and blighted disease
2 rat catchers for handing out reactivate on rat kings
Rats for throwing rats at and sponging activations.

Apart from Stolen and Hounds the only other model I'm keen to try with this list is Ama No Zoku as Miasma of boils or whatever it's called seems to go well with a plague/pestilence based theme and can be taken advantage of by obeys and lures.
Though as stated elsewhere I'm yet to try the winged plague, they certainly add something to Hamelins fluffy crew since otherwise he seems to be a "denial" based crew.

17 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

Something like that.

Candy and Nix are both situational (depending on what I expect from my opponent, I would go as far as to say Kade is often better because of the Lure.

The foundation is start with two stolen - sack for rat king (summon another two stolen when you activate Hamelin later in the turn- try to produce a rat king every turn)
Obedient wretch for throwing rats and blighted disease
2 rat catchers for handing out reactivate on rat kings
Rats for throwing rats at and sponging activations.

Apart from Stolen and Hounds the only other model I'm keen to try with this list is Ama No Zoku as Miasma of boils or whatever it's called seems to go well with a plague/pestilence based theme and can be taken advantage of by obeys and lures.
Though as stated elsewhere I'm yet to try the winged plague, they certainly add something to Hamelins fluffy crew since otherwise he seems to be a "denial" based crew.

Your foundation is faulty.  You can't start with 2 stolen, you can only hire 1 totem (Page 65) unless the totem has rules which change that, and the stolen don't. They are rare 3, but do not allow you to hire more than 1. 

• Like 1

I always run Nyx, just because he's usually difficult and annoying for my opponent to bring down. I used to always hire a Stolen but have recently started trying out lists -Stolen, +Hollow on Nyx so he can get the 1 action charge. If I feel like I need to play more aggressively, I go with Hollow; if I feel like I need more activations, I go Stolen.

4 hours ago, Adran said:

You can't start with 2 stolen, you can only hire 1 totem (Page 65) unless the totem has rules which change that,

Nice find, thanks will look it up.

Not too much adjustment required there one rat and a tossed rat to replace it should still kick the machine.