We need a Story Encounter box set...

Hagisman

Hey guys,

Looking at the other factions it seems like Story Encounter boxes are cropping up a lot.

Here are the story encounter boxes currently in production:

• University of Transmortis - Rezzer
  • Crossroad 7 - ALL
  • Brotherhood of the Rat - Outcast
  • Amphibious Assault - Neverborn
  • Creative Taxidermy - Gremlins
  • Tortoise and Hare - Arcanist, Rezzer/Ten Thunders(?)(I don't remember who the Tortoise replaces)

I've seen one store page that says Pistolero's have one but I think its a wrong description.

I'm hoping the Witchling Thralls or Death Marshal Recruiters get one. I'd enjoy seeing those story encounters. I've been reading the Crossroad 7/Sue Through the Breach adventure that came with the box and it's hilarious as well.

The Starter Box is close to a story encounter box, but its meant for teaching and doesn't add much for those who know the system already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myyrä said:

Didn't we just get one in the nightmare box? 

I didn't (but I ordered it online so maybe they ran out).

I can see cool story ideas with the recruiters, but I don't see enough models to justify a story encounter box. Guild doesn't really have a cheap small mini to use in a story encounter that Wyrd seems to use for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wizuriel said:

I can see cool story ideas with the recruiters, but I don't see enough models to justify a story encounter box. Guild doesn't really have a cheap small mini to use in a story encounter that Wyrd seems to use for them. 

Quite. The model ratios in Wave 4 are too well-balanced for any faction to get a story box out of them. Thus, Divergent Paths.

It's also true that cheap spammable models and their handler make a good story encounter box. And now the child is on a path to become a tiny Teddy tinkerer. I think we all know what we need to do. ;)

• Like 1

Two player starter set? Kind of borders on a story box...kind of.

The problem is the story encounter boxes are a mix of models.

While a witchling thrall story box would be nice it would need a second model type.

If it came with witchling stalkers, handlers or some nightmare styled orderlies that would work.

But someone would likely throw a woobly about model double ups.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Isn't the Starter box pretty much the same as an Encounter box? Only the rules for an Encounter are missing, but I bet most people can imagine a scenario on their own with the crews.

The starter box is very limiting starting off. Each of the scenarios is has a nice bit of storyline. I don't have the book out in front of me but they are as follows I think:

• Incident - 1 Orderly vs 1 Blood Wretch - Teaches attack and defense flips.
  • Escape - 2 Orderlies vs 2 Blood Wretches - Throws in damage flips.
  • Hunting down Escapees - Add Nurse Heartsbane vs Add Psion of Black Blood - Adds Strategy I think.
  • Showdown - Everything - Basically a full game of malifaux with a Henchman lead crews.

That is very simplified. But effectively its not as much of a story encounter as those in Book 2, 3, and 4. Where the story encounter is based on a short story that's in it. Such as Lucius's painter encounter.

I really like Divergent Paths as it is getting me into the story of the game a lot more.