Avatars, Emissaries, and Effigies in a Crew

Akai

So I just finished listening to the tales of malifaux about "The Event" and the series of Avatar descriptions. With the Shifting Loyalties introducing campaign and the emissaries, its getting a bit convoluted for me. Some fluff/rule-related questions:

Avatars - are the masters getting a power up form during the game (replace the master with a 50 mm version during the game). Intended only for campaigns and optional for casual game play.

Emissaries - the brief reading of the fluff is that the emissaries are the upgraded form of the effigies. In game though, you are able to field both effigy and emissary within the same crew though (for example brutal effigy and brutal emissary together?

In a campaign game, I can potentially have a master and its avatar upgrade, an emmisary, and the respective effigy all within the same crew?

Avatars are an original concept from the 1st edition, that never worked especially well, even then, that then in the transition to 2E seemed to prove problematic, for various expectation/mechanical/financial/business reasons. As stated they are currently only available for use in campaign games, or in casual games with your opponent's permission. Note there is no official, or even *wink wink* official way to use Avatars in casual play.

Emissaries: Are the Solution to a multi-fold problem. They allow the fielding of centerpiece models, which many people enjoy. They allow those who owned old Avatar models to use them as legal Proxies (I use Avatar Seamus for this a lot). In Fluff terms, yes, they are the "upgraded" version of the Effigies. Storywise when the GG killed himself, possibly, when attempting to become a tyrant, the release of the gathered energy, for lack of a better term, caused the Effigies to power up. Yes you can still mechanically use both the effigy and the Emissary in the same crew. I suspect that was done to not cripple one of Collodi's methods of play, but I have no evidence of such, just a feeling.

Yes, if you re playing a campaign game and have completed all requirements, you can indeed have a master, Avatar skill attached to the master, the Emissary, and the Effigy in the same crew.

50 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Yes you can still mechanically use both the effigy and the Emissary in the same crew. I suspect that was done to not cripple one of Collodi's methods of play, but I have no evidence of such, just a feeling.

I have always thought it was simply because the text for "Final Form: You may not use this model and the <whatever> effigy in the same crew" or whatever even wordier version would be needed wouldn't fit on the already overflowing Emissary cards.  That you can use both just becomes one of those odd quirks of the game.

Not that time didn't already do strange enough stuttering in Malifaux already--it isn't much worse to have the creature as it was before, and the creature as it was after, the backlash which unwound a spell which had been meshed with the asynchronic time of Malifaux. And the borders, the Breaches, are where that time-warping effect is bounded....I wonder whether the Dreamer was wrenched forward or backward in his years, when the breaches to the Other Side opened near his waking home.

I do wish I could remember why meridians have to do with escapements.