Papa in a Box

InvokeChaos

58 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Magnetism from a couple of gamin would shorten its lifespan considerably. I was pondering Mei Feng into Sonnia for hyper-mobile support removal, and I'm itching for good excuses to put Sparks and The Porkchop on the table to run with--Sparks having several things that could gum up the machine described above and/or providing conditions that greatly support Mei Feng (fast constructs, burning enemies to get bonuses off of).

Don't forget turning enemies into Constructs for Kang's Aura ;)

Mei's living construct crew is more defense oriented, but not too weak on WP. The Metal Gamin, however, will be hurting if hit with Wp duels instead of Df.

Sonnia gets positive twists against models with Wp 6 or more - against that particular crew Wp is nothing but a hindrance since nothing in it attacks Wp (unless I'm overlooking something).

• Like 1

It's supposed to be Papa in a Box, which can appear in other Guild crews. There's a lot of talk of Sonnia. PiaB with Perdita can shoot hard and fast--which could potentially be mitigated by jamming and using LOS to your advantage as much as possible to avoid the shooting. The slingshot approach of the DM with the box in order to pop Papa out into the middle of a cluster means don't cluster (unless you're doing something that reduces/ignores pulse/blast damage), and if you can get an activation in before Papa does his thing, it might not be a bad idea to use a control piece to knock him back, paralyze him, or do something similar. If he's being carried in to drop explosives off on something important.. well.. I hope you've got a backup plan?

Of course, a quick glance shows me that the OP contains all three elements, while the subject line suggests PiaB.

So I too am starting to wonder if the question really how to deal with a combination (PiaB), a crew (Darth's Sonnia), or the Guild in general.

The subject line suggests the first.

On the second option in there: the player/crew, I will say this: there's a lot of nuance, order of activation, and an opponent to deal with. I'm trying to figure out more with my own order(s) of operation so that I get more mileage out of my crews. A more experienced player can take the same crews I run into the same strats/schemes and opponent/crew and potentially do much better than I do. Similarly, the same strat/schemes/crew I score 10-6 against one player I may lose 4-10 against another player (running the same list and choices that the previous player made). The opponent and their AP/card management affects how your game goes to some degree.

On the third: it depends on the strat/schemes and your hiring pool.

It's for the Papa in a Box tactic in general, but with a heavy accent on Sonnia simply because she is the most common take (or so I've heard) with this particular tactic and won Nova again, so it's pertinent. This isn't making a list... it's getting feedback and suggestions on how we as a faction can respond. 

I don't like hard set lists typically, even though I field a couple. It's more for education and information. I've never played it, wanted to know about it and wanted to know how we deal with it on a whole.

As such, any constructive feedback on the Papa Box combo is appreciated. And if it's more skewed towards Sonnia, great. @EnternalVoid post a ton of good Sonnia and Papa information, and several others have added a lot of good feedback too. But if it's more generalized, that's awesome too. Knowledge is power!

I will probably be going through it with a finetooth comb this weekend and adding the really pertinent commentary to the original post, just for sake of ease for new readers.

Hopefully we get some more good feedback. I wish I had someone in my meta who piloted it, because I'd like to try the Bettari assassination tactic on it, just to see viability.