Ringsnake's WIP thread

ringsnake

I've been a bit stagnant on my miniature painting due to burnout on other game's miniatures.

That and I finally had to give in and get progressive lenses on my glasses because I'm old and toothless and have crappy eyes. Well.... I've been toothless since I was a teenager. Don't do stupid things with bicycles kids!

Been having quite a bit of fun with the McMourning crew, and some of the other stuff, so I've been on a bit of a painting streak. I'd already finished the Flesh Construct, Canine Remains, and Nurses. Just need to finish basing them and putting on a few more details. Never posted them before because the Canine Remains and Flesh Construct didn't come out up to what I consider worth showing off. Still need to do a lot more work on the steampunk pizza dish, leather, buckles, other metallic parts, and hair. Looking at the picture I finally worked out that I need the pizza dish to look like it's full of blood, meat chunks, and toxic chemicals instead of just being a bright clean silver. 

NOTE: The blood is a neat trick I was taught by another painter at GenCON a few years back. It's done with Tamiya Translucent Red paint. Toxic as hell, and will wreck your brushes, but there's no better blood effect I know of.

• Like 2

The color scheme on the nurses was a happy accident. I quite literally grabbed the wrong paint and had meant to put black where the turquoise is. What I ended up with is much better.

I think I need to do their hair in brown or blonde though. Black just doesn't work with those colors. Too muted, doesn't stand out.

Well the crazy eyes are a sculpted detail of the model. Some sort of weird (wyrd?) goggle things. Hence them being in metallics. I'm honestly not 100% happy about how those turned out, but I'm mostly satisfied with how the rest of the face turned out. I did do some more work on him and the nurses last night. More progress pics are coming. I hope to have him, the canine remains, and the flesh construct all wrapped up tonight.

I could go darker on the shading on McMourning's face to more sharply enhance the lines of his face, but I'm getting sick of looking at him.

The nurses require a lot more work, as there's a lot of sloppy work that wasn't visible to me before I got my new glasses and could finally make proper use of my optivisor. I'm glad to say that I was right about the hair. I've painted over the hair in white in preparation to make their hair auburn and blonde, and even that initial step was a marked improvement.

If it doesn't pop, it doesn't work.

Yep, putting blood and green goo on the pizza pan totally fixed what was wrong with it. Glad I saw the official art on the wallpaper for him. The red hair really works well on this model.  Need to do a bit more work on the boots, change headband to leather, and do the mechanical bits on the pizza pan and he'll be done.

mcmourning.JPG

This is the first time I've posted pics of the Flesh Construct. Painted him a long time ago, and I'm mostly happy with how he turned out, though I have a different method for doing zombie flesh that works a lot better. I hope the next limited edition release is an alternate flesh construct scuplt.

Miss Matched

Whatever, anyway if I have the time I'll put some more work into making the metals distict from each other and pop a little better. Mix some copper and brass and weathering in there.

large.fleshconstruct.JPG.6885a20a8fd473b

Now that I have better glasses, and can make better use of my optivisor, I spent a lot of time cleaning up sloppy work and bad coverage that I couldn't see on the nurses. I've also painted over their hair in preparation to painting the hair blonde and auburn. Even with the hair done in white, it's obvious to me that black hair just was not going to work.

Anyone know what those weird textures on the second nurse's legs are supposed to be? Is it supposed to be sagging fabric because the stockings are falling down? If so it doesn't work.

large.nurse1.JPG.47ef7d79df8123619fb5657

large.nurse2.JPG.d34e1fdad78aaebda096db0

• Like 1

On 9/14/2016 at 1:16 AM, Butch said:

I would say the stockings have cuts and in the holes you see skin.

Could be, but torn stockings don't look like that. They either tear vertically down the length of the stocking, or in oval shapes in random places. Not in a series of horizontal bumps in an orderly lines. Might have to shave them off and fix after the fact, but I think the intent is that they are sagging and wrinkly. 

• 1 month later...

Done! Got rid of the Flesh Construct and Canine Remains, as I'm going to stick to Guild only. Red and blonde hair worked SO much better on the nurses than black hair.

Making some good progress on the Lucius Crew, so I can add a Lawyer or two to my McMourning crew, and next up after that are all the models from the starter set; Grimwell, Heartsbane, Angel Eyes, etc... To go with Lucius and the others. 

large.IMG_0290.JPG

• Like 2