Considering a new master

Phinn

I am considering starting a new master and would like to ask you for an advice.

I enjoy things like:

• all kinds of tricks
  • careful planning and scheming, and thinking a lot of steps ahead
  • models that are difficult to master and require a lot of experience
  • versatility

Models that I like the most (mainly based on their delightfully creepy aesthetics) are, in order of popularity, the following:

• Mysterious Effigy
  • Widow Weaver
  • Stitched Together
  • Candy
  • Baby Kade and Teddy
  • Changelings
  • Insidious Madnesses

Up until now I have been playing Zoraida.

Masters that I am considering are:

• Dreamer
  • Pandora
  • Collodi

Is Pandora considered a boring opponent master? Or is she at the same level as Dreamer and Collodi? Would you go: "Tsk, not this sh... master again," if your opponent announced one of these? Because I would hate that.
Do they offer those things that I like? Or did I basically just describe Zoraida? Would you advise me just to buy the models I like (Widow Weaver, Stitched Together, No Shelter Here and Teddy) and play them with Zoraida?
Any other suggestions?

Your opinion will be immensely appreciated.
Thank you.

12 hours ago, Phinn said:

I enjoy things like:

• all kinds of tricks
  • careful planning and scheming, and thinking a lot of steps ahead
  • models that are difficult to master and require a lot of experience
  • versatility

Models that I like the most (mainly based on their delightfully creepy aesthetics) are, in order of popularity, the following:

• Mysterious Effigy
  • Widow Weaver
  • Stitched Together
  • Candy
  • Baby Kade and Teddy
  • Changelings
  • Insidious Madnesses

Masters that I am considering are:

• Dreamer
  • Pandora
  • Collodi

Is Pandora considered a boring opponent master? Or is she at the same level as Dreamer and Collodi? Would you go: "Tsk, not this sh... master again," if your opponent announced one of these? Because I would hate that.
Do they offer those things that I like? Or did I basically just describe Zoraida? Would you advise me just to buy the models I like (Widow Weaver, Stitched Together, No Shelter Here and Teddy) and play them with Zoraida?
Any other suggestions?

Your opinion will be immensely appreciated.
Thank you.

So I play 2 out of 3 of these masters a lot. Pandora if you go the paralyze build can be dull for your opponent but I tend to play her brawler which is very much a model that can be done differently and uses more of her tricks, such as her damage pulse. The Dreamer should be up your ally, there are a lot of tricks you can try with him and it can very a lot between games with what you summon and the empty night triggers. Finally, though I have probably a six games with Collodi and play him, according to Brian Gresham, as a hybrid between his 2 common styles. I am also with less focus on his survival then most often using his zero to push after pulsing out armor or focus and then he makes my enemy dance. I do not really understand Collodi partly because I have not loss with him.

I would also look at Lilith, easy to learn but hard to master her pack tactic play style that focus on enemy separation and if Lucius had a better box he would also be a good one but he does not so I would stay away from him. Try playing Lilith with out using her sword.

Nephilim are really nice, they may look like brutes but try making them angels for extra creepy and you get to go biblical.

Thank you, @D_acolyte, I value your opinion highly.

Dreamer it is, then. I like his aesthetics the most, just wasn't sure about the playstyle.

Would you kindly look at the list of models I am planning to purchase and tell me if there is something missing?

• Hide and Seek
  • Insidious Madnesses
  • Stitched Together
  • Lelu & Lilitu
  • Widow Weaver
  • Teddy

Should I add Doppleganger?
In the future I would like to purchase Bandersnatch and No Shelter Here for Candy and Baby Kade.

@Phinn, my opinion is worth what you pay for it. lol. My father used to say that when I asked for advice.

I play summoning Dreamer and mostly use him as the center of a spear tip with Teddy as the point. This is because of The Dreamer can push Teddy, give fast, remove conditions and summon back up (Lelu).

Most people like the Doppleganger, I rarely use one but they are helpful when you need that initiative.

So this is the hard part, if I had to start some where on a list of what to buy and in what order it would be something like this:

Hide and Seek, if you are going summoning then you want 2 day dreams to lessen the card strain.

Teddy, he is The Dreamers favored combat model though hard to summon.

Stitched Together, they are a good reliable summon take a 10 of mask and are a decent buy at 6 stones.

Lelu & Lilitu because of how tool boxy they are. One is a missile the other is a lure with 4 inch engagement.

A minion type you would like to have that is not a nightmare. Nightmares are about the most well rounded models but there are some things they are not good.

The Widow Weaver and insidious madness's I feel can normally wait. I will sometimes buy the Widow Weaver in a Dreamer list and will almost never buy insidious madness in The Dreamers crew though I might summon one. Alternatively, Pandora likes them both.

The Dreamer can also work well with any minions you want because of Empty Night works on them. The big 2 that jumps to mind are Young Nephilim for maneuverable combat models and Waldgeists to tank.

I have used Candy a little with The Dreamer, the daydreams help her a lot on hitting someones will power because of there aura. Summoning a Lilitu near a model and having Kade charge it has been ok. Also if your already hitting the Wp hard then never scoff at a Sorrow or 2, especially because The Dreamer can speed them up if need be.

Schemes and stones has a pod cast about The Dreamer:

http://schemesandstones.podbean.com/e/master-spotlight-the-dreamer/

The guy on it is similar to how I play.

I also find that The Dreamer works well with any model set because of his heal aura and ability to provide some form of support be it summoning a model to make someone better in someway, play time generating cards, or empty night. I almost never bring out Chompy.

Hoped this helped.

I want the Bandersnatch so bad. It and the Bunraku look like so much fun.

• Like 2

I use Candy all the time (by which I mean reasonably frequently), although most often in conjunction with Iggy. Kade gets left on the shelf more often as there are just tougher damage dealers and better Lure options out there unfortunately. 

I'd agree that The Dreamer seems the best fit with the models you seem to enjoy. I'm sure the others could also give a good play experience, but he really fits with the Nightmares, shenanigans and creepy children theme you seem to have going on there.

By the way I'll throw out one other thought.

Lucius Neverborn fills most of your criteria and likes many of the models you mentioned.

On 8/24/2016 at 4:00 AM, Phinn said:

I enjoy things like:

• all kinds of tricks - he is the prototypical support/minion force multiplier
  • careful planning and scheming, and thinking a lot of steps ahead - definately
  • models that are difficult to master and require a lot of experience - he is regarded as being maybe the weakest master in the game [I disagree but he is hard to play well] 
  • versatility - most support masters are versatile as they rely on their crew's powers so you can change it up a lot more

• Mysterious Effigy - the Lucius upgrade for this is superb, it summons Changelings
  • Widow Weaver - she is interesting with Lucius and again summons a useful minion model with the handbag upgrade
  • Stitched Together - minion which hit hard and Lucius are friends
  • Candy - Mimic, schemey, cheap, messes with your opponent
  • Changelings - Mimic, cheap, stealing certain attacks is amazing

Its a little out of left field (alright, its a lot) and because of his Guild based box maybe also more expensive but if not this time next time I'd give Lucius some thought if that list above is still a priority.

He's a fun challenge to play and in Neverborn in particular he can really come at you sideways.

I would like to thank everybody for their input :)

Just placed my order and I would sum it like this:
ZyEUNY2.jpg

I will start with Restless Dreams limited upgrade and then when I properly understand all the models I will switch to Dreams of Pain.
I will most likely not purchase any new models (Apart from Bandersnatch, of course.) in a not-so-near future because I want to get a firm hold of the Nightmare models first. After that... who knows :)

Thank you once again :)

• Like 1