Winged Plague Vs Void Wretch

Nukemouse

Outcasts are not the best at running schemes, but Void Wretches have often been suggested as a good alternative due to low cost, okay walk, incorporeal and the ability to slow enemy scheme runners. But now that Winged Plagues are out, aren't those better? Is it worth picking them up if you don't have Hamelin? Is the extra wk stat that big a deal?

10 hours ago, Blacks85 said:

I agree that "Winged plague" are slightly better.

Unfortunately, they are both quite bad scheme runners :(

If you need some decente runner, get Levy and Necropunk...they are real scheme runners!

Sigh...

Necropunks are one of the best in the game, but cost one soulstone more. Punks are better when you need to make an Intieract (2) action, and slightly faster movement (max 14" vs max 12") in pumping out a lot of scheme markers (can move as a 0 for a 7 or higher), but otherwise they are very similar. Plagues have synergies with Hamelin of course, but otherwise they are a very strong dedicated scheme runner for 4ss.

Are they better than punks? No, but about as good and for a soulstone less. If you play Leveticus you'll likely still prefer punks. If you play Hamelin you'll definitely prefer Plagues. For anyone else you'll still going to prefer plagues to Wretches in most cases... A solid scheme runner all said!

Well obviously Levi is a special case, hamelin can also hire crooligans iirc or hounds with nix. I've been trying to get into outcast Tara though, would the Voiceless Words upgrade make a real difference? Having Void Wretches threaten to bury (or at least force a cheat) when they die sounds pretty good if I'm running lots of them.

Well one thing I will throw out for the Void Wretches is their lack of characteristic.  The Winded Plague is a living model meaning certain things can affect it and it will drop a corpse marker when it dies.  In turn the Void Wretch does not care about things that target any characteristic save minion or all and you don't have to worry about it supplying a corpse counter to anyone that can use it *there are more than just Ressers that can use Corpse markers*.

Personally I am going to be torn and it will be the master and then objective that would decides it.  A single Void Wretch I still really like because of the 2/3/4 damage spread compared to 1/2/3 and that (0) action so I have to consider it.  Any synergy with the master will decide it followed by what I actually want to do with the model.  If it is going to be heading for the hills to drop as many markers as possible then it will likely be the Winged Plague but if it is only a marker or two and I might want to pull the model into the action it will be the Void Wretch for that possiblity of slow on a key model.  Not to mention if I have plenty of models that discard cards it does give some more weight to the Void Wretch.  If I need two scheme runners... unless the master calls for one I am more likely to have one of both.  I am not big on taking more than one Void Wretch so the Winged Plague is a good option for pairing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nukemouse said:

Well obviously Levi is a special case, hamelin can also hire crooligans iirc or hounds with nix. I've been trying to get into outcast Tara though, would the Voiceless Words upgrade make a real difference? Having Void Wretches threaten to bury (or at least force a cheat) when they die sounds pretty good if I'm running lots of them.

The choice is pretty straightforward for a lot of Outcast crews.

Levi - Necropunks

Hamelin - Winged plague for synergy

Tara - Void Wretches for synergy

Daw - Guilty for synergy

So really, it's the other three (current) masters we're considering here.  

23 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

The choice is pretty straightforward for a lot of Outcast crews.

Levi - Necropunks

Hamelin - Winged plague for synergy

Tara - Void Wretches for synergy

Daw - Guilty for synergy

So really, it's the other three (current) masters we're considering here.  

Guilty is not really a scheme runner unless you want to nurse him with Jack or have some forward deployed Tormented model ;)

I feel like the wretch is more corner case than the plague. Having incorporeal, varying defence and a Ca action will often make or break the wretch. Sometimes it's incredible, especially with it's above average damage, solid trigger and amazing (0). Other times a Ca action will blow it away at the start of a turn.

Personally I love wretches and they've won me games in the past but I've also had very bad matchup's that made me regret taking them. 

• Like 2