New Masters with generic totems / Emissaries

Kobayashi

So,

with all the rave of new Masters incoming I ask myself two things:

1. How good are the generic totems (Old Cranky, Malifaux Child etc.) with the new Master? It seems the generic are mostly good (looking at Cranky or Kamaitachi) and I wonder if the new Masters are designed with them in mind and...
  2. How will they work with Emissaries? Will the new Masters will come with Emissary Upgrades, so we can use them

Has there been any news about it?

Is there one from Wyrd (like Aaron or Justin) who can and are willing to share (I know I could tag you, but I think in your case it's kinda rude to use the [summon] function, since your work will be affected by the [slow] Status.

1. We generally don't know as the general populace around here doesn't have the full stats. I would assume they work decently well, as the faction generic totems don't tend to have a massive amount of synergy with crews. Old Cranky, for example, will probably still fit in with Zipp's crew, doing what he has always done. Will he be better than Zipp's totem? Who knows.

2. To the best of my understanding, the new masters will not have upgrades with the emissaries. I could be wrong about this as I am just a guy on the forums. An emissary could still be hired with the generic upgrade, though, I would think.

7 minutes ago, Requirement said:

2. To the best of my understanding, the new masters will not have upgrades with the emissaries. I could be wrong about this as I am just a guy on the forums. An emissary could still be hired with the generic upgrade, though, I would think

If this would be true I would somehow be less impressed about releasing them and not making use of a specific upgrade with following masters :s

Just now, santaclaws01 said:

In one of the reveals they said the new masters won't be getting emissary upgrades in wave 4, I'd expect them in a later expansion based on how they perform.

Thanks for that... a Little bit of a bummer... but okay I'll live, but now I know I should not hold my breath for that :)

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

If this would be true I would somehow be less impressed about releasing them and not making use of a specific upgrade with following masters :s

I think a lot of the reason is that the wave 4 masters won't need emissaries really. There is already so much more written on the front of the cards than most of the wave 1 masters. The emissaries, whether intentional or accidental, fill in a lot of stuff for the wave 1/2 masters.

And, hey, the generic confluxes benefit minions quite a bit... you will still be hiring some minions, right? :D

35 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

with all the rave of new Masters incoming I ask myself two things:

1. How good are the generic totems (Old Cranky, Malifaux Child etc.) with the new Master? It seems the generic are mostly good (looking at Cranky or Kamaitachi) and I wonder if the new Masters are designed with them in mind and...
  2. How will they work with Emissaries? Will the new Masters will come with Emissary Upgrades, so we can use them

I would assume that the new masters were designed tknowing what the generic totems are. They may or may not have reasons to take the generic totem over their built in totem. Just like all the other masters out there. For some masters the generic totem (or even one of the mercenary totems) offer something different to their specific totem. But other masters get such a huge boost out of their totem, that you aren't that likely to take the generic one. I think I can garentee you are more likely to take the generic totem with a Ripples master than you are with Levi, The dreamer or Jacob Lynch. 

The emissary upgrades are seen by a lot of the community as a boost for the master in something that the designers wanted them to do, but didn't quite get it to work. 

I can't remember what the public beta testing about them formally said, and I don't know Wyrds view on them, but by not doing a conflux at this time, they have the option to look at how they are doing in 6-9 months time, and see if they want to boost some part of the master. ( An example is Perdita getting something on the upgrade to make her obey better as it wasn't being used much, or Ironsides getting another source of Adrenaline, because she didn't seem to generate it as fast once her opponents worked her out). 

32 minutes ago, Requirement said:

And, hey, the generic confluxes benefit minions quite a bit... you will still be hiring some minions, right? :D

Well.. errr ... Bayou Gremlins come cheap... yes I want them

6 minutes ago, Adran said:

The emissary upgrades are seen by a lot of the community as a boost for the master in something that the designers wanted them to do, but didn't quite get it to work. 

I see. Thanks :)

With the kamaitachi in particular, we'll really have to wait and see what Asami does. The wonderweasel is currently only particularly good with Shenlong or McCabe, imo, because if you aren't getting the card draw/push/heal for upgrade cycling every turn then I don't think the kamaitachi is very good. A lot of the other generic totems are more generally useful though (I'm looking at the primordial magic here), so it'll really just be down to comparing them to the master's specific dedicated totems.

Emissary upgrades are in response to the meta surrounding each master. Since the new masters don't have established metas, designing upgrades for them would be difficult/dangerous. I believe Justin has said something akin to that somewhere on the forums.