Kirai lists and strategy

#Maxi

Hi everyone,

after some games with other resser masters (mainly Seamus and McMourning) I'm finally approaching Kirai.

Actually I played only a game with her, but I have some questions I'd like to discuss with you:

- I found Kirai having a beautiful but very difficult games dynamic: Ikiryo pops up only when living or undead models are damaged, but undead spirits are not so common (you just got hanged and shikome - which I prefer summoning rather than hiring, Izamu - autoinclude in my opinion, and Datsue Ba - this one I still have to test before making me an idea if I like her or not), but all the healings and the tricks of the crew only works on spirits... here is a first listing problem;

- I have to play in a 6" bubble if I want to maximize Ikiryo menace, but how can I do if I need to spread (think about interference strategy or many marker-based schemes)? Ok, I can try lost love, but he's very fragile if left alone and distant from the rest of the crew ( and if not I'll probably gain only 1" or 2" malevolence aura from him) ;

- I used the "spawn point" (i.e. flesh construct + nurse) as a summoning base: do you think it worth for a total 11SS cost??? Except for one or two nurse tricks I have 1/5 of the crew SS left blocked and useless during the game;

- I tried to move this way: Kirai summons one Shikome (or hanged) and heals it with swirling aether, often uses the third AP to move and the 0 action for to summon a seishin or to absorb spirits (always from a seishin); Izamu is supposed to bring the damage output; Datsue Ba is a mix of movement tricks/seishin summoning/other tricks with her 2+1 0 action pool (so sad she can't get instinctual!!) but I really can't understand how to capitalize from her; Do you agree with all of this?

In substance, I need some help with listing and game strategies! Thank you for every suggestions :DDDD

• Like 1

I dont know much about Kirai, but The Drowned are both Undead and Spirits, Phillip and the Nanny too :)

Phillip is great for games with scheme markers or when you need more cards for summoning.

Pair him up with a Dead Doxy for a card generating factory - the Doxy drops a scheme marker, moves, Takes the lead on Phillip and then drops a second scheme marker. Phillip eats both scheme markers to draw 2 cards and discard one, for each marker.

Phillip can also turn enemy scheme markers into corpse markers, if you give him Corpse Bloat you can blow them up too. Finally he can put up a Chatty aura preventing interacting.

I've never been particularly fond of the summon-factory style of play, so I tend to treat Kirai as a support piece who only summons from time to time. That frees up the stones you would otherwise spend on Flesh Construct and Nurse for models that will be more directly engaged in winning the game.

In general, I like to keep my Undead close to Kirai while my (non-Undead) Spirits go out to do other things. Most Spirits, especially when boosted up the field by Kirai, are perfectly adequate for running schemes (I like using the Drowned for their ability to Finish the Job) or for Interference. In general, though, I find Kirai and her Spirits are much more focused on killing the enemy than running Interact-based schemes.

Datsue-Ba has been great value in my recent games - like most of the Resser henches, she's more of a support than a beater, but she can still push out damage. I tend to use her to apply Adversary to an enemy, weaken it a bit, and either lock it down so it can't get away, or move a Shikome into position for a charge to finish it off. As a Terrifying Incorporeal soulstone-user she's also pretty tough against most opponents.

The model I'm most interested to try with her (but haven't had the chance yet) is the Carrion Emissary. As well as being formidable in its own right, the Conflux of Spirit significantly changes the resilience of an Incorporeal-heavy crew.

• Like 1

Going to agree with Kadeton. The summoning on Kirai is nice, but its really just a bonus. She is certainly no Nicodem. Seishin, Swirl Spirits, and her ranged attack are far more valuable imo. I usually don't have a problem separating Lost Love from Kirai. As a 30mm model, he is easy enough to shield, and can teleport away in an emergency. I have had some luck with Toshiro with Kirai. She tends to be minion heavy, and he gives you something to do with those corpse and scrap markers. Chiaki can also be an all around useful model, especially against certain other masters. I also enjoy bringing Ashigaru from time to time. Brace is just such a useful ability.

So, first of all thank you guys for all your suggestions!

I can't wait to try both the Philip/Nurse card factory (Kirai is a sensational card eater :D) and the non-summon/support-focused Kirai.

In particular about this last one, just some questions:

- Unforgiven can be useful in this build up or not? I didn't play it last game, and I think it finds even less place in list when the focus is no more summoning... Which upgrades you give her?

- you hire shikomes or not? I think (as for hanged) that summoning them is far more good than spending 8/9 ss for;

- you talk about drowned: my question is the same... you spend 6ss for hiring them or just summon 'em?

As you see I'm not used to play summoners so I find some difficulties in listing :DDDD

Thank you again for your opinions!

I usually take Unforgiven, on the basis that when you're not summoning often, you're probably summoning high-quality models (Shikome or Hanged), and Unforgiven's triggers allow you to get the most out of them. I always take Absorb Spirit, because damage boosts and card draw are far too good to pass up.

I wouldn't usually hire Shikomes, just summon them into position ready to attack (or charge if you have a Tome, can remove Slow in other ways, or can Poison your enemies). I almost always bring Datsue-Ba and Izamu. I also really like to get Take Back The Night in there if I can - either on Philip (card draw machine gooooo) or Yin, who synergises very nicely with summoning the occasional Hanged. I fill out the rest of the list with whatever I feel like at the time - Belles are a good staple, as are Guild Autopsies (ranged Poison is great for Shikome).

Deciding what to hire can be pretty tough for Ressers, because for most Masters, anything you really need you can summon even if you don't do it all that often. That means you've got the freedom to go crazy with Enforcer and Henchman-heavy lists, or just try out stuff you like the look of. Good luck! :D

I think there are at least 2 very distinct ways to play Kirai. 

If you wan ther as a primary summoner, you are probably wantign to work out ways to smooth your hand, and select which models you want to summon off of. In this case, you probably don't want to hire anything you can summon, but rather plan on summoning them. Night terrors get hired a lot here, becasue on a normal day that night terror becomes a drowned and a Hanged. 

If you are going primarily support, then thats much less an issue. You want to have models that will have an effect on the game, and use her to positoon, and adversary. 

• 2 weeks later...