von Schill and Librarian (well, general vS positioning)

CapnBloodbeard

How do you guys run von Schill and the Librarian together?

I tend to think von Schill likes to be reasonably far upfield and get in people's faces.  He seems to be a master where if he does on turn 4/5 it's not so bad because they're probably spent so many AP taking him down that it's worth it - but he always has a fair chance of surviving, so lately I've been pushing him fairly far upfield (I also take the upgrade that gives him hard to kill, on top of 'shirt comes off', of course).

Initially I'd keep vS back to keep the Trapper within 10" for "I pay better", but I don't think restricting vS' movement for this reason is a good choice.  Pushing vS pretty far upfield often seems to work well, even though this may mean nobody else is in his 6" bubble.  But I've lately been finding the value of Librarian in just healing vS - however, it's hard to keep her within 6" of vS (her healing range), and last time she just ended up chasing vS around the board with double walks.

So how are you positioning vS in relation to the rest of your crew to get maximum effectiveness?  I feel like his buffing for the rest of the crew tends to be nice but not essential enough to restrict vS' movement.

Of course this all depends on the game.  Sometimes it just works best to have vS sitting in the middle of the field somewhere shooting fools. 

I never take I pay better on Von Schill, because that spot is taken by engage at will, this allows him to take the shirt off and finish the cur in the same activation which I find highly amusing. I generally let VS lead the way but i never ever outpace the midfielders because hard to kill aura is by far more valuable than damages caused by knife charges, especially when you can just focus with the gun and wallop someone good.

I have been playing alot of the ol schillinger lately but I really only find librarians necessary against ressers, else I'd likely take a trapper instead.

I always take "The shirt" and "Survivalist" with him. It's strong enough that you don't have to worry about keeping him alive...it requires just too much to kill him and you can easily stone or remove the shirt.

The absolute best position imo is in the middle giving his insane aura to as many models as possible. It's strong when the strategy is Extraction or Guard the stash and the team are focused to be compact in the middle of the map.

Regarding librarian, I don't think you need to worry to much in being close to him. I believe there are models that need its attention more than him.

However, my experience with a librarian is a little disappointing.

Awesome on the paper...but too "short-ranged cure" in the real life. I didn't really use his healing effect as much as I thought...so I've reconsider his "must-have" condition I thought before. However, he has a good CA attack so it's a good offensive tool as well.

True, though then it needs vS to hang back in the middle of the table a bit.  Which is fine if I need to hold the middle somewhere, even manageable if I'm holding table quarters - I guess it means that playstyle means I'm less likely to have a model going off and hunting their master.

But then I've felt that games have been lost simply from not playing vS aggressively enough.

I got sold on a Librarian once when an opponent spent 30+AP trying to kill vS. (it wasn't an entirely serious match...) ...I hit that magic scenario where I'd keep healing him back from one wound (awesome with Hard to Kill).   But then, sometimes I like to send vS out hunting the master - or just make him leap into the middle of a bunch of models and watch the dust fly ;-)

I guess it really means I have 2 choices.  either run vS on his own (or with the strongarm suit hanging around) and sacrifice the buffing to others and librarian healing, or hold him back a little.

Very new to Schill-baby but I've played a few games with him and sort of ran a centre board face stomp party, with, Emissary, Lazarus, Hannah, Librarian, Trapper...Found all of those models chilling out in the middle really throws out the pain (lazarus with regen is glorious, as well as Schill with don't mind me).