Conditions - Unique vs. Stackable

Flib Jib

Question

According to the SRB Pg. 61,

Conditions stack if the Condition’s name includes a value and the Conditions have
the same name, for instance Poison +1. When this is the case, the values are
added together and the two Conditions become one.

Conditions presented
without a value in their name do not stack, and a model that would get a second
instance of a Condition simply ignores it (the second instance is not applied).

So the rules are very clear about stacking and unique conditions. But I am curious about how the unique conditions Reactivate and Paralyzed interact. They don't stack nor do they seem to cancel each other out similarly to Fast and Slow. Would someone clarify how these conditions interact with each other.

6 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, godswearhats said:

In other words, having Paralyzed on a model that also has Reactivate sucks twice the amount of normal Paralyze.

Not quite as Paralyze is removed at the end of the Activation, not End Step.

Say a model has not activated at all yet this turn and somehow has both Paralyze and Reactivate.

1st Activation - oh no, I'm paralyzed! Do nothing and end Activation. Paralyze is removed. Model still has Reactivate.

2nd Activation - yay! I get to activate as normal (assuming it hasn't gained Paralyze again sometime since he ended his first activation).

• Like 1

Is there a particular point that you're finding confusing about the behavior of Paralyzed and Reactivate?

A model with Paralyzed and Reactivate is just going to follow the instructions for both conditions:

1.  Paralyzed can be summarized as "Your next Activation is going to be extremely boring and then Paralyzed gets removed.  If you gained Paralyzed during an Activation, current Activation just ended and then Paralyzed gets removed.  Paralyzed doesn't expire at the end of the turn."

2.  Reactivate can be summarized as "You can activate twice this turn, instead of just once."

Paralyzed doesn't stop the model activating, it simply prevents the model from doing most of the interesting or useful things that it normally does during an activation.  So the paralyzed model activates, generates 0 AP, is prevented from declaring any actions during that activation, and unless it has an ability or condition needs to be resolved, then it ends its activation and Paralyzed expires. 

That's going to be true whether it was the model's first activation or the model's second activation in a turn due to Reactivate.

1 hour ago, godswearhats said:

In other words, having Paralyzed on a model that also has Reactivate sucks twice the amount of normal Paralyze.

59 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Not quite as Paralyze is removed at the end of the Activation, not End Step.

Say a model has not activated at all yet this turn and somehow has both Paralyze and Reactivate.

1st Activation - oh no, I'm paralyzed! Do nothing and end Activation. Paralyze is removed. Model still has Reactivate.

2nd Activation - yay! I get to activate as normal (assuming it hasn't gained Paralyze again sometime since he ended his first activation).

Thanks, this is exactly what I was wondering.