Storing unused bases visibly

prof_bycid

I have some bases that I really like and can't wait to paint and use: three boxes of MicroArts Studios bases (which are really great), and a half dozen green stuff bases made by pressing into Basius tiles (which are really great).  I came up with this way to store them all in a small space, but keep them visible at the same time.  I bought a $4.99 frame from a hardware store, cut a piece of galvanized sheet metal to match the frame backing, and put this between the glass and backing.  The bases have magnets in them, so just hold to the frame on the wall, and they sit there waiting for use.  BTW: the MicroArts studios basing system allows you to put thin magnets inside the bases, so they won't pull off the base.  Hope this is useful to someone else.

large.Base_holder.jpg

Edited by prof_bycid
Reduced size of image
  • Like 4

On 29 mai 2016 at 11:46 PM, prof_bycid said:

BTW: the MicroArts studios basing system allows you to put thin magnets inside the bases, so they won't pull off the base.  Hope this is useful to someone else.

Not mines. I have the resin ones. They are more detailed, but I'll have to make holes in there it seems.

Edit: fixing my English.

44 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Not mines. I have the resin ones. They are more detailed, but I'll have to make halls in there it seems.

I have the resin bases as well, Franchute.  I put the magnets between the plastic base and the resin insert.  I should have mentioned: I ordered lot of 1 mm thick magnets, which fit under most of the resin base inserts.  For some of the 40 mm and 50 mm with a wider gap underneath I either use two together, or go with a 1/16 inch magnet for more strength.  A few of the 30 mm bases end up sitting a bit higher than they should, but with lots of glue around the edges, you can get them set securely.

On the topic of basing with magnets, I have found a trick to keep the magnets well-pressed into the glue (I'm using Zap-a-Gap cyanoacrylite) while it dries.  I put another magnet on the other side of the base while it dries.  Just be sure you have the polarities lined up first, or you will have magnets covered in crazy glue jumping around.  :)

On 4 juin 2016 at 10:34 PM, prof_bycid said:

I have the resin bases as well, Franchute.  I put the magnets between the plastic base and the resin insert.  I should have mentioned: I ordered lot of 1 mm thick magnets, which fit under most of the resin base inserts.  For some of the 40 mm and 50 mm with a wider gap underneath I either use two together, or go with a 1/16 inch magnet for more strength.  A few of the 30 mm bases end up sitting a bit higher than they should, but with lots of glue around the edges, you can get them set securely.

On the topic of basing with magnets, I have found a trick to keep the magnets well-pressed into the glue (I'm using Zap-a-Gap cyanoacrylite) while it dries.  I put another magnet on the other side of the base while it dries.  Just be sure you have the polarities lined up first, or you will have magnets covered in crazy glue jumping around.  :)

I bought a whole bunch of resin bases directly from the MicroArt Studio factory in Poland. Those come in one piece---the base and the insert are part of the same piece:

base1_zps30ow18ob.jpg

I had also bought the following box from an online shop. I have only a few of these. The insert and the base are separated:

base2_zps2rkhp4nw.jpg

I prefer the former because the quality of the "insert" is superior, but it bothers me that I am not able to put a magnet without making a hole. Now, it seems that you found some with the insert being resin and separated from the base (plus you have an smart trick of putting the magnet ;)). That sounds fantastic. Where did you get them?

Edit: fixing my English.

Franchute, those MicroArts bases are the ones I used.  They are a different theme but the same system.  The upper molded part was a bit hollow, and so I was able to get a thin magnet in.  For the all resin one piece ones you have, maybe try a shallow hole in the bottom with a Forstner drill bit?  This will make a flat bottomed hole, so you don't have to drill as deep.

I guess they are plastic rather than resin.

• Like 1