Basing Leaves

Jewomie

Hey everyone,

I'm working on my wife's Neverborn crew and I had the idea of an autumn/stone scape basing. I remember on these forums years ago there was a guy selling tiny little leaves, looked like maple leaves, in all shades of autumn colors for scattering on bases. They looked great. If I remember right he was dying seeds from some other plant that were just about the right size/shape. So I spent a couple hours looking for the post I originally saw, but that thread seems to have been archived and I cannot find it.

I did try making my own by cutting up paper and that did not work out very well. they were too flat and didn't look quite right to me.

I have seen them pop up (or something similar at least) in various places on the interwebs, but I have never been able to find where people are getting them now.

Do any of you have something along the lines of scatter leaves for bases or any idea where I can get them? Any help would be appreciated!!!

An example of what I'm talking about is on the old metal sculpt of the black blood shaman.

WYR4037_500.jpeg

EDIT: Okay, I found a DIY article that says Birch seeds are what I was thinking of. They look amazing... still not sure how to go about getting them though. lol.

If this is what you are looking for:

pods2c.jpg

Then they were birch catkins.  There have been several retailers over the years that have sold them either dyed or in their natural color.  Most of them have stopped since from a business point of view it is labor intensive (to separate the usable shells from the seeds) and the sales slump since in many areas they are free and readily available.  My suggestion is if you find a retailer purchase them.  If not then you just need a birch tree to have an unlimited supply.  Here is a bit of a thread discussing separating the seeds from the shells.  Linkey

Hope that helps.

Snitchy sends.

• Like 3

Thanks for the help! I checked out greenstuffworld, only issue there was they are in Spain and I'm in the US. However they DO have an Ebay page, i'll probably just buy them there to be honest. Here is the link incase anyone else comes looking for them as they seem to be out of stock indefinitely everywhere else I looked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leaf-Litter-Natural-Leaves-Basing-Leaf-scatter-material-Scenery-Warhammer-/281810049777

I found a few old listings on amazon and ebay from Secret Weapon and their little bags of these seed things, but it didn't show anything about how long they had been out of stock, and secret weapon doesn't have them anywhere on their actual site, so I'm guessing they haven't shipped these in a good while.

I suppose I could be less lazy and make them myself (thanks for that guide btw) but I'm not sure they grow here in Indiana. I swear I've seen the pods before, but I'm not certain. I'll keep an eye out for a few days, then probably just buy them from ebay. it's less than 20 bucks after shipping and all that good stuff.

anyway, thanks for the help!

EDIT... also.. this was my 1000th post! :P YAY

4 hours ago, Jewomie said:

Thanks for the help! I checked out greenstuffworld, only issue there was they are in Spain and I'm in the US.

if you do decide to order from them then check out this.

miniature-leaf-punch-punches.jpg

You would have an unlimited supply then that does not need to be ordered.   I can tell you that these guys are really good.  I ordered some of their basing rollers and received them here in the UK the same week.  Granted they are only on the mainland but the punch is worthwhile.  I found a similar one at Michael's in the states in their cheap punches bin.  It only does one type of leaf but it works.  Unfortunately it was not something that they stocked all the time so that can be a bit hit or miss.  Maybe worthwhile to check there or at Clair's or Hobby Lobby if you have either of those in your neck of the woods.  Hope that gives you another option.

Snitchy sends.  

Snitchy sends.

• Like 2