Chompy Dreamer - What do I need?

Reagusmage

So I've bought Jacob Lynch with Beckoners and one or two other bits, and looking to move on to Dreamer - Now I'm not the biggest fan of summoning a crapload of dudes, so I fancy going the Chompy focused Dreamer.

I've looked around, and I've found it hard to find suggestions and "must haves" for a chompy based dreamer crew, they all tend to focus on the summoning version instead!

So what models do you recommend?

Chompy Dreamer is crew independent enough that you could actually run him with most of a Lynch list quite happily, although I find he does want a couple of Nightmares for his Daydreams to push around. 

I would recommend getting the following stuff in order:

Stitched together - solid minion for both masters, decent card-draw and damage dealer, pretty tough and able to run simple schemes (like inspection).

Teddy - secondary big threat for Chompy Dreamer

Doppelganger - does tonnes of stuff and easy to sub into both crews

The Depleted - tarpit with Brilliance synergy and generally handy for rounding out lists

Widow Weaver - something to push around, makes Stitched Together faster, Wp duel synergy (for Tantrum) and not too card intensive

Mr. Tannen and Mr. Graves - good with both masters, drain your enemy's cards, speed up your crew and provide some damage/denial

Iggy and Pandora boxset - the boxset is really for Candy as she's a great card independent tarpit for the dreamer. If you really don't want to go near Pandora at see if you can get a single Candy online somewhere or suitable proxy

Insidious Madness - scheme running and Wp debuffing, better with summoning Dreamer but you might want to try that out by this stage anyway

Lelu and Lilitu - these would go higher up if you were interested in Summoning Dreamer but I figured you have the Beckoners for Lure so they're not a huge priority

Good luck and have fun. I've been playing Chompy Dreamer a bit now and I think I prefer the playstyle. He's harder to use but you get to actually use your cards for stuff and the mobility/damage potential is just crazy when it works. 

• Like 1

Basically buy a Teddy, he's so fast with the Daydream's pushes and his (0) action, and then he pushes enemies with every melee attack, best Dreamer beater for sure.

Stitcheds are the second best beaters, they also get full benefit from being Nightmares in a Dreamer crew.

I have played this list for Chompy Dreamer to great success:

Dreamer

-Tantrum

-Restless Dreams

-Otherworldly

Coppelius

-Wings

Teddy

Teddy

-Retribution's Eye

Miss Ery

------

Obviously it's not a Reconnoiter list, but it works in Turf War and Squatter's Rights and maybe Reckoning if you are careful with your daydream's positioning.

Turn 1 you summon 3 Daydreams and you are already at the average model count of 8, next turn blow one up and summon 2-3 Alps, and you are already are out-activating most enemy crews.

You can get the full +4 waking from shoothing (or summoning + shooting) in one activation, because you have the extra AP and Sh gives you +1 waking with these upgrades.

Remember, you are not fielding 3 Teddies, it's only 2 and a Miss Ery.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2016 at 4:16 AM, lusciousmccabe said:

I would recommend getting the following stuff in order:

Stitched together - solid minion for both masters, decent card-draw and damage dealer, pretty tough and able to run simple schemes (like inspection).

Teddy - secondary big threat for Chompy Dreamer

Doppelganger - does tonnes of stuff and easy to sub into both crews

Widow Weaver - something to push around, makes Stitched Together faster, Wp duel synergy (for Tantrum) and not too card intensive

Mr. Tannen and Mr. Graves - good with both masters, drain your enemy's cards, speed up your crew and provide some damage/denial

Insidious Madness - scheme running and Wp debuffing, better with summoning Dreamer but you might want to try that out by this stage anyway

Lelu and Lilitu - these would go higher up if you were interested in Summoning Dreamer but I figured you have the Beckoners for Lure so they're not a huge priority

This is basically what is great for a summoning Dreamer list but I would add Waldgeist, one maybe two to a list. I put Tannen bold here he is a game changer for summoning Dreamer. He make getting models out so so so much easier, and the fact you can summon Teddies just makes life hell for your opponent.

• 3 weeks later...

Chompy Dreamer is really fun to play. He doesn't seem to be as versatile as Summing Dreamer, but that's why people play multiple masters, right?

So, what should you be looking to hire with Chompy Dreamer?

Obviously you will need to think about Daydreams and Alps. These will be your summons to get Chompy out. Only summon Alps if you have 3 Daydreams out, as they are much more useful to have on the board. Daydreams can push your Nightmares into position to kill stuff, or get it out of trouble. This is really useful for your glass cannon pieces, like Teddy and LCB himself.

Stitched Together are AMAZING. Don't rely on them to be reliable, but rely on them to be a pain in the ass for your opponent.

Teddy. Oh how I love Teddy. With other Masters he is sub-par to other similar cost models. But with Dreamer he comes ALIVE! All those pushes from Daydreams (and Dreamer if you need them) get him into position, and then he wrecks face. You do have to be careful, as he is vulnerable to counter attacks But positioning him so that you can counter back with LCB is fun.

Coppelius. He is a great scheme runner. He is fast, survivable, and pretty handy in combat if you need it. Run him down the flank to get your schemes done, and take out your opponent's scheme runners

Insidious Madness. These are some more awesome scheme runners. Again, they are fast and can survive a turn or so in combat. Don't rely on them to hold out all game though.

Nekima. Yeah... she is just amazing. Fast and smashy. What more do you need?

Mature Nephilim. Another smashy model, great for supporting Nekima or Teddy. No-one wants to run into the middle of 2 smashy models

Doppelganger. Neverborn fan favourite. She can copy non-leader actions. She can cheat the initiative. She can interact while in melee. So much awesomeness.

There's probably something I'm missing... but yeah. You have loads of options =]

Bloodwretches. They love be fast so they can charge and ship cards. Dreamer loves to have good cards in his hand and doesn't mind discarding bad cards. Bloodwretches hit pretty hard so go go Bloodwretches. Also, Aggro Dreamer is a bit of a miss nomer. He's still a support master, just not a summoning nightmares support master. Chompy can and will get taken down, and when he does, Dreamer will be caught out like a possum in headlights. Take good models that hit hard, have dreamer give them buffs. Kill other models. That's aggro Dreamer. 

This is the list I've been running pretty much exclusively as chompy dreamer.

Dreamer (tantrum, wings of darkness, restless dream) full cache

2daydreams

Aionus (mimics blessing)

Coppelius (mimics blessing)

Doppelganger

Widdow weaver

Turn one summon 3 alps, turn two summon 3 more if your opponent has killed some of the first set or you can summon 2 and hit something with surrounded by nightmares to bring out chompy. Aionus sits in the back field passing out as much slow as possible while coppelius goes after scheme runners/ supplements the alp summoning. Widow weaver makes it easier to smother your opponents models and can try to paralyze anything that is avoiding the alp auras.

• 1 month later...