A quick question about markers

tallghost

Hey gang,

I'm entering my first tournament this month after exactly zero years of playing Malifaux. I'm familiar with the rules, I just don't have many nearby folks to play with (I'm driving an hour and a half for the tourney).Besides, the best way to learn is to just get stuck in, right?

In any event, my question is this, How many markers is reasonable to bring with me? I'm playing a Sonia crew out of the box, with a couple of Austringers and a Handler thrown in.

I want to make sure I'm prepared, and I know bringing your own markers is expected.

Assuming you are using the book schemes, then there are cases that you need 7 scheme markers down to score maximum points for those schemes (Line in the sand and un-revealed Breakthrough/plant evidence/power ritual/protect territory). That doesn't allow for you dropping spares. If you have the time, then 10 is probably best, although 5 will cover you in a large number of the games if you aren't too scheme heavy. (And Sonnia probably isn't). 

I think Sonnia can get 3 blast markers on her Severe, so having 3 50mm markers is a good idea. You may also want 2 50mm markers for flame walls. (some games you can get away with just the 3 markers, use them for blasts to start with, and then drop them as the flame wall after you've finished the attacks)

• Like 1

From gaining grounds - 

Conditions
There are three legal ways to track conditions: erasable marker to write on the model's stat card, tokens (such as colored glass beads), or six-sided dice. Tokens and dice may be placed on the model's stat card or next to the physical model on the table. No matter how a crew chooses to track conditions, it must do so consistently for the same condition. For example, if a crew tracks Poison with dice on a model's stat card, all instances of Poison in the crew must be tracked in the same way, but the crew could track Paralyzed with a token. Additionally, a crew must come prepared to track each condition it can apply. When tracking conditions with dice, no two conditions may be tracked using the same color of dice and when tracking different conditions with tokens, the tokens for different conditions must be clearly differentiated in some way (either through different colors, having the condition's name printed on, etc). Conditions tracked using erasable marker must be written clearly. When you apply a condition to an opponent's model, you must offer your opponent the option of using your tracking tools; they may refuse if they have their own.

So Dice are fine, as are tokens and markers to write on the cards.