Card draws for Lucius?

SpiralngCadavr

So, it's been a bit since I've played Lucius, but I want to get back in to him, and I remember I was pretty regularly frustrated by his card reliance- both needing the right cards, and needing enough cards.

In the case of the former, there are plenty of ways to get extra draws + discard. I'm not concerned with that.

In the case of the latter- I feel like if he's running effectively, I'm also running out of cards rather quickly. I know draws are rather uncommon, but I wanted to check if there was something I'm overlooking. (If anyone from his guild side is over here, and has recommendations there too, that'd also be helpful)

Sadly it's an issue here has trouble getting around. Stitched Together can help, they're not super amazing as it's more of a filter against anything with reasonable WP. They are pretty good with Lucius though since they're minions. 

If you're willing to pay for merc tax (and not-a-minion tax) then Hannah and Sue are easy straight up card draw.

Or a Weaver widow for when you paralyze your own dudes. :P

Icarius, interesting- hadn't looked at the wretches since I don't have the starter set- that has a lot of potential, but I don't see how one would get mileage out of that rule, though, since it needs Fast to be able to get more than one attack in the activation it uses it in. (Though that's very respectable damage on a 5ss model, either way)

luscious, Yeah, hannah's pretty much a staple, but I find it hard to take her with lucius since she's best in my experience when she has a few cards to throw around, and neither is nor buffs minions.

I haven't done much with sue, though worried about the same things.

I've been meaning to try the WW with lucius for the summon, but yeah, nice consolation prize.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpiralngCadavr said:

Icarius, interesting- hadn't looked at the wretches since I don't have the starter set- that has a lot of potential, but I don't see how one would get mileage out of that rule, though, since it needs Fast to be able to get more than one attack in the activation it uses it in. (Though that's very respectable damage on a 5ss model, either way)

Yes, that was a mistake in the theory, is not the same activation (I overlooked this word). Even so, you could move with a Lucius granted action (6 isn't to bad), Build Rage and attack. A lot less interesting than my initial statement...

• Like 1

I've not run Lucius in a long time, mostly because there are so few pools that I tend to want to play him into. However, Sue fits well into my playstyle with him. Card draw is great with Lucius (obviously) and I get some good mileage out of Walk the Line - Lucius is better than any other master at passing AP at a distance, and at killing his own models so any way that I can lean into that I do. Sue also has a positive twist to his attacks and decent damage output which is something I always look for non-minion models with Lucius.

I've wondered about Orderlies because they are blazingly fast and provide reliable (if AP intensive) healing as well as card-cycling.

I usually take Lucius with Wings of Darkness. Also, don't forget that if you bring a Guild Pathfinder or two they have an ability to draw and discard a card when a model dies withing 6" of them, once per turn (also works off Clockwork Traps). If you take Nekima, she has the 'Rejoice' trigger on her attack (tomes) that allows her to draw a card - and Lucuis can benefit a lot from having a heavy hitter that can summon and upgrade minions. I should probably run him with the Pukesnake instead of the Scribe (but the latter model is just so goddamn fluffy...) as I rarely bring any mimics other than Doppelganger in Neverborn Lucuis.

For a while I started with two Illuminated and a Beckoner in all my Lucius lists, but didn't quite have the success I expected. Later when Nekima came out I was reborn: Finally things clicked for me. The combination of the ranged element from Guild and the fast, brutal growing (in numbers AND strength) monsters from NB make for a great combination ;)

The list is roughly the following:

Lucuis 4ss upgrades - 4 cache
+Surprisingly Loyal 1ss
+ On Wings of Darkness 1ss (or Legalese for marker stealing/Secret Objectives for the marker discard)
+Secret Assets 2ss
Scribe 2ss (Primordial Magic is the better choice, but Scribe is too fluffy to pass up...)
Doppel 7ss
+Useless Duplications/Depression 1ss
Austringer x2 12ss/Pathfinder x2 12ss
Nekima 13ss
+The True Mother 2ss
+Growth 1ss
Terror Tot x2 8ss

You have: Activation control, initiative advantage, high mobility, ranged + melee element, a (hopefully) growing list of minions to command.
This way with Lucius you can focus on doing two things and two things only, mainly his two best actions: (1) Issue Command (+useful triggers) and (1) What Lackeys Are For (combination scheme/placement/enabler). This looks a lot like dancing tango on the battlefield and directing the chorus at the same time: You pop around the board and lead your more important dancing partners to where they should be (Nekima, engaged Guild shooters) + drop a scheme marker. You give the command to your shooters or runners to kill stuff dead/complete a scheme out of activation. If you have the sniper upgrade, you burn a stone and shoot close to where the scheme marker is for the bonuses. Mix and match. Sometimes you might want to charge something with Lucius to bring him closer to the enemy lines and finish a model or put Red Tape on another before swapping. Fun!

• Like 4