March FAQ

Justin

6 answers to this question

I'm very glad to see Sloth's Trigger clarified. It was annoying our group to no end.

At some point, there needs to be a discussion on how Malifaux actually defines rules terms and how saying "just use common sense" is a trap if the intent behind the rules isn't very obvious (ala Sloth where both considered timings were equally valid, if not for one being stronger than the other): "After this model fails" and "After failing" are not equal cases in terms of what the rules say, and to a lesser extent, where the intent is clear, things like Taelor's "after succeeding" triggers not going by any sense of the rules can lead people in the wrong direction.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DocSchlock said:

I'm very glad to see Sloth's Trigger clarified. It was annoying our group to no end.

At some point, there needs to be a discussion on how Malifaux actually defines rules terms and how saying "just use common sense" is a trap if the intent behind the rules isn't very obvious (ala Sloth where both considered timings were equally valid, if not for one being stronger than the other): "After this model fails" and "After failing" are not equal cases in terms of what the rules say, and to a lesser extent, where the intent is clear, things like Taelor's "after succeeding" triggers not going by any sense of the rules can lead people in the wrong direction.

Yeah, I'd like to see more formalized timing in the next edition. E.g. an "after damaging" trigger would be written something like: :mask Knock Back (Step 6/Damage): Push the target model 3" away from this model. Abilities and conditions would also need timing information in the same format. Action effects too, at least when there are multiple steps like Killjoy | Cleaver which does damage as normal and then have an effect that only happens if the target was killed.

• Like 4

Very good answers this time around. The clarification on activations ending was especially needed.

There's still this though:

On 23.1.2016 at 10:21 AM, Myyrä said:

I'm a bit disappointed we still don't know how models getting killed works, how vantage points are supposed to be played, and how incorporeal/flying models handle elevations. This stuff comes up way too often in games.

I can sort of understand the hesitance to answer the questions about models getting killed and vantage points, but I would imagine clarifying the incorporeal/flying movement FAQ answer shouldn't be a big deal.

• Like 1

On Sunday, March 06, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Justin said:

So does this mean Ulix's War pigs do get to Eat their Fill heal from an Obey situation outside their activation or that since it's not the individual models activation (per the new ruling) that they cannot Stampede? Also, along these lines, does this also mean if a model that can charge for one AP Obey-charges a Model with a successful DF Trigger like Sloth (or Sub Zero) that you ignore the trigger and finish the second attack?