Is Hodgepodge Effigy worth it in a crew when the master isn't very killy?

apes-ma

For example with Tara, Jack, and to a lesser extent Hamelin, would you ever consider taking an Effigy just for the cover he can provide, dropping the odd scheme marker and the odd chance he might let you reap a soulstone if your master does get a bit of killing done?

5 minutes ago, daniello_s said:

I wouldn't bother taking him with Tara or Hamelin as they would not benefit from him too much.

I would take him with Jack (he is killy master, believe me), Viks or Von Schill.

I always take him with Levi :D

Are you making Jack killy by using the charge trick (put on firing squad injustice with the first attack, then rip it off with the second)? I'm most interested in trying the effigy with Jack since I feel like the cover will be useful, but I haven't worked out how to make Jack particualrly killy (disclaimer: I am very new to the game, and I still have a LOT to learn with Jack) - I find myself needing cards/suits with him though so the extra SS could be really handy if I can get him to start merking models.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daniello_s said:

I wouldn't bother taking him with Tara or Hamelin as they would not benefit from him too much.

I would take him with Jack (he is killy master, believe me), Viks or Von Schill.

I always take him with Levi :D

You left out my favorite: Misaki. ;)

One of my favorite tactics with Misaki and the Effigy is the consistent cycling of the final soulstone in her cache for the :crow:crow trigger on Assassinate.  Throw Tally Sheet on her, and it's self sustaining throughout the whole game. 

2 hours ago, apes-ma said:

Are you making Jack killy by using the charge trick (put on firing squad injustice with the first attack, then rip it off with the second)? I'm most interested in trying the effigy with Jack since I feel like the cover will be useful, but I haven't worked out how to make Jack particualrly killy (disclaimer: I am very new to the game, and I still have a LOT to learn with Jack) - I find myself needing cards/suits with him though so the extra SS could be really handy if I can get him to start merking models.

Charge jack in when target is in base with a Tormented Model, 1st attack, apply curse, 2nd attack, keep curse on, (0) tormented model to attack, 3rd attack, rip it off.

The fact the effigy is height 1 and can procure a 3" aoe of soft cover while being a minion and target resilient means he probably won't die easy, and is generally worth his points, imo. Just because the master isn't a killy one doesn't mean they won't kill, sometimes it just has to happen! I like to hide him near some centre line cover and provide a haven for more fragile models, such as ronin or Johanna.

Also, mismatched blades is a great attack for a 4SS model! Take him with the vikkies and use howling wolf tattoo to make him a sister with a high crow in hand, laugh, profit

I agree with the thoughts from all the other posters.

The Hodgepodge Effigy is generally worth bringing for the mobile soft cover as well as it's own stats. All the effigies have a good statline and are deceptively difficult to take down, and Hodgepodge in particular deals a solid amount of damage for its cost. In terms of Loyalty to the Coin, I would always consider Hodgepodge with Von Schill, Leveticus, Misaki, and Viktoria, because all those masters can generally eliminate one enemy model per turn. Hodgepodge is most useful with Hamelin as mobile soft cover for his rat swarms, but I don't find it as useful with Tara or Jack Daw.

2 hours ago, Patzer said:

Its a great filler for Jd. Its more or less my totem with him. 

Would you mind giving me a rundown of how you use Hodgepodge with Jack? I've tried that combo before, and I would have rather spent the 4SS on something that provided more Jack synergy. But I could be missing something important, so if you've had success, I'd love to hear about it!