whiskey golem where does he go

Gdead909

Well the obvious answer is with the Brew Master, but I think he can do some good work in any gremlin crew that desires a fairly durable (bit of rarity in the faction) and for the most part self sufficient model in it. Perhaps Mah and Wong, though could also see him fitting into an Ophelia or an elite Som'er crew build. With Som'er his biggest detraction's are that he is both expensive and difficult to support since he isn't a pig or gremlin. As far as Strategies and Schemes, I would say he is a good candidate for Turf War and Body Guard.

On 1/6/2016 at 6:14 PM, Gdead909 said:

So I am picking up the nightmare version of this guy on Thursday and I was wondering where he worked well?

In your miniature carry case? hehe...
I find him more of a tar pit than a beatstick, specially in a Brewmaster crew'

He has a nice attack but with a very low range. I usually find that for 10 or 12 ss (with upgrade) there are way better models in the faction. Mancha for beatdown, Fingers for schemeing and healing duty, McTavish for tarpit, and Gracie for durability and mobility (despite her Wk4). Whiskey golem also requires one additional general ap to get staying power because you will want to activate fine craftsmanship after his activations. So he works well with Brewmaster, Zoraida and any crews with Sparks in it. Maybe a magical whiskey golem with sparks would make him useful? Having 4-6-7 damage with possible poison and built in ignores with fast and 3 general ap (flurry and one more attack/fine craftsmanship) Quite scary but he would be focused down instantly.

1 hour ago, szendroib said:

I can't argue here he is not a tarpit. I kind of meant he is a better one at it than Whiskey golem (since Master wrote he use whiskey golem as a tarpit). Only reason is the 3 ml range VS the 1 :).

Ah, true - he is one of the very few Gremlins with a 3" Ml range. But his true role means that he likely isn't positioned to make for a proper tarpit nor is he generally durable enough. But I have used him to tie up a clump of enemies so I'm not completely disagreeing with you.

Whiskey Golem OTOH is plenty durable and the 50mm base offsets the somewhat pitiful 1" Ml range at least a bit. Plus Nimble means that he is pretty good at getting where he is needed and access to high Df means that he is somewhat difficult to pin down.

Now, all that said, he still isn't an amazing tarpit but I think that that is his main function. Gremlins don't have many Tarpit style models (Zoraida of course has access to the ultimate in that regard in Waldgeists and Brewie himself is likely the best tarpit in the game but other than them, there isn't much).

I really don't like his Flurry Upgrade (too expensive and I think that Smokey Finish is generally quite important for him).

He is durable but he doesn't have any special abilities to haul enemies in or keep them there, and, most importanly, his Ml range is really short. Similarly I don't consider Gracie a tarpit. I think that he is a fair tarpit but not spectacular for his SS cost. Excellent tarpits are things like Waldgeists, Jaakuna Ubume, or Yin.

He might be fun in a Wong crew. "Living the dream" setup being Whiskey Golem + Angry Drunk + Ooo Glowy using Nimble to walk up and swing 3 times at 4/6/7 triggering poison +2 on crows on a group of models placed by cracker jack timing (lovely assistant). Perfect if you were not able to finish them off with blasts from Wong or Bugs. Or if already engaged, swing 3x then nimble out into cover and take advantage of regen +1.

Just theorycrafting here haven't tried it yet....;)

Tried whiskey golem with Sparks this week and its quite fun. The fast makes him much more useful. You can walk 12 and attack 3 times or walk and attack 4 times, or the extra ap is good for activating the +2 def. Not overpowered or super competitive but it leads to a pretty mobile beater. I think it would be a nice pairing for brewmaster aswell since Sparks has a denial aura (hostile workenvironment) that prevents enemies from removing the swill/poison or pushing them away from brewmaster.