Jack Daw what's your favorite combo?

walruspride

My post from the getting jack to work thread:

I really love Jack Daw when playing with movement shenanigans.

Jack Daw

-Twist and Turn

Writhing Torment

Jaakuna

-Creeping Terror

Lust

Anna Lovelace

The Guilty

The Drowned

Then either a second drowned or a trapper depending on strats and schemes and a cache of 4.

The list is built around moving your opponents models around and then shutting down his/her ability to re-position. A tormented Lovelace with the buff of creeping terror is a 9" bubble of no movement shenanigans from your opponent but where you are free to push them around.  Jaakuna is the anchor of it all. You feed enemy models into her four inch bubble. Then with some proper positioning Lust forces them to decide if they are going to try and close with Jaakuna or move towards Lust. The Guilty runs your schemes, and Jack does his thing harassing your opponent with curses.

In my experiences playing against Jack Daw, bringing him to a game that requires killing enemy models requires a certain finesse or tweaking.  We have 1 player in my FLGS that's played him, but is still trying to work out the best mechanic for him.  He seems to be a lot about board control, considering how all the popular models that are used with him are capable of doing.  Jaakuna's hazardous terrain is definitely the "bread and butter" of this crew.  I might consider bringing Ama No Zako, to expand that aura a bit more possibly?  She's only Ml 5, but her damage spread is pretty good.  Maybe that can mitigate some of the lack of combat damage amongst the crew.

Hey Ben, totally agree that Jack takes more finesse for the killing schemes. I probably should be taking envy and rusty alyce for that. I was thinking back to the last game and I know I made about a dozen play errors in the first two turns for a reckoning game. looking back, My list should have been a small rat engine, envy, a henchman with I pay better, and the rest as solid 5-7 point dudes that hit out of their weight class . preferably with hard to kill. but hey still learning him. I plan on being at the store tonight around 730 ish if you feel like another game.

-Proxy

27 minutes ago, the proxy union said:

Hey Ben, totally agree that Jack takes more finesse for the killing schemes. I probably should be taking envy and rusty alyce for that. I was thinking back to the last game and I know I made about a dozen play errors in the first two turns for a reckoning game. looking back, My list should have been a small rat engine, envy, a henchman with I pay better, and the rest as solid 5-7 point dudes that hit out of their weight class . preferably with hard to kill. but hey still learning him. I plan on being at the store tonight around 730 ish if you feel like another game.

-Proxy

...George...?

In the list I posted, I've never had a problem with a lack of beatstick. Both Lovelace, and Daw have non-randomizing ranged attacks with capable melee threat. The need for a beatstick is mitigated by your superior board control, and Daw's curses. Against big, tough, durable models you hand out slow, move them out of position and plink them to death fairly easily. Against weaker models, you have guillotine injustice, as well as decent combat ability. Daw is Ca 7, Lust is Ca 6, Lovelace is Ca 6 as well if i remember. So you are going to hit. The way to think of the trade off is a beatstick uses its AP to remove opponents models, denying them AP. The Daw crews I like to run use their AP to both make the opponent waste AP/Cards/Wounds to maintain their models positions, as well as make it costly to achieve schemes. I also love to use Daw's native attack zero to clump models up and trap them in my overlapping auras.

Daw runs well with Rusty, Lazarus (the gun turrets), and Taelor. 1-2 of them will do a lot of killing for any crew. Daw can also get a lot of mileage out of Convict Gunslingers (cheaper gun turrets). Shooting models are great with Daw since he can move them into position with ease. 

To answer the original question, I like to go with Twist and Turn and Writhing Torment. Both upgrades together makes Daw such a good crew positioner, while still having more than enough tricks and fire power to create havoc in enemy lines. 

My Daw lists will pretty much always have Daw (Twist, Writhing); Guilty; Hodgepodge Effigy; 1 10ss beater. The rest is up to strategy and schemes. I often take another Guilty (since they are pretty darn great) or a Nurse. 

I currently try this:

Jack:+3×Injustice +Twist+Torment

Lady L

Guilty

Effigy

Lust

Envy

Jakauna +creeping

Amo na Zako

3ss

A bit light on stones I thought about dropping Lady for stones to use Amos triggers to her full potential on the other hand effigy is not soo bad at creating some.... Did not find the right stone balance yet...

However the amount of board control is absurd and I dont feel I lack damage... if anything tankyness against perdita shooting and a lot of blasts... so basically lists that need to get my zone control right in their face to feel it even a little... and shoot you to clumps on the way in... besides that test results are promising so far.

My only concern about generating stones with the Effigy is that Jack isn't necessarily the most killy Master so you probably won't get that many.  He tends to watch share his attacks around to put out curses and get his friends to do stuff through Obey.  He can dish out horrible damage in combat (minimum 5 damage effectively) but he too rarely finds himself in such a position.  Lady L also seems pretty poor but I guess I should actually try running her!

I would not take the lady in all lists. I would only consider it with creeping. However some models get screwed pretty hard by that aura. 

I find it worthwhile with a certain number of crossroad seven where you play a good number of denail already. 

Or with a good number of models which def is based around horror/manipulativè

Charging a hanged gets so much more scary if you cant cheat... obviously useless at range which makes lists like that much more vunerable at distance... but jeah i consider dropping her or effigy for stones and an upgrade

• Like 1