PLast Craft Terrain LOS question

Sannop

Question

Hello,  I have recently bought the Plast Craft Malifaux terrain (GREAT STUFF!)

But it has led to some interesting questions on vantage, vantage with walls, LOS, "blond spots" etc.

I added a discussion post with pictures on how we handle walls, but I would like a rules answer on how to handle the following.  Do either have LOS to each other?  If not, how is that determined?  If so, what if the Judge moved next to the wall.  How is that determined?

Thank you for any answers on this and on thoughts on my other post.

7933452_orig.jpg

Edited by Sannop

11 answers to this question

Is that house the regular plastcraft height or have you modded it? Given how easy it is to reach and how hard it can be to remove stuff from high places it just seems strange to release terrain looking like that and say it's designed specifically for Malifaux.

• Like 1

Is that house the regular plastcraft height or have you modded it? Given how easy it is to reach and how hard it can be to remove stuff from high places it just seems strange to release terrain looking like that and say it's designed specifically for Malifaux.

Yeah, I have that tower as well. We define the sniper nest as impassable. It's not fun in a game.

• Like 1

Yes it is as designed.  The look is tremendous.  It also is a great size for a 3x3 table and works well with the walkways.  But I am considering making the crow's nest accessible.  Hans or December Acolytes up there might be game changers.  Also, rules for LOS will be needed.

Yeah, I have that tower as well. We define the sniper nest as impassable. It's not fun in a game.

Thanks for the quick reply as usual! 

I really don't get the desire to create snipers nests. Tall terrain looks cool but I'm not sure I've ever played a game in any games system where tall sniper nests turned out to be fun mechanically. The building would probably have looked better if the roof had just continued and been clearly inpassable.

Edited by Ludvig

Thanks for the quick reply as usual! 

I really don't get the desire to create snipers nests. Tall terrain looks cool but I'm not sure I've ever played a game in any games system where tall sniper nests turned out to be fun mechanically. The building would probably have looked better if the roof had just continued and been clearly inpassable.

I think we will end up not having the roof on for most of the games.  The fighting will be inside.

A bit off topic but I might offer the following suggestion if you are going to make the "crows nest" inaccessible or impassable.

Add something to the top so you cant place a model base on it. Perhaps a heroic looking spare or re purposed figure painted up to look bronze or stone like. Also perhaps fill in the windows with something to clearly show players that the open space is impassable or closed. I would recommend either some clear plastic material (such as from an empty blister/ clam shell) or perhaps wax paper, or you could go really fancy if you have access to a color laser printer and print some stained glass images on acetate paper.

13 hours ago, Ludvig said:

If you include plenty of terrain, i.e. other buildings, then it can work out fine. The key is to insure that the building heights allow for a LOS blocking for models that hug and traverse along the "shadow".

Edited by Omenbringer
poor proofing of original post before posting
  • Like 1