Resurrectionists on a budget - Oriental theme

yool1981

I am a Neverborn player but I would like to try the Resurrectionists a bit. I would like to start with a limited model range and keep an oriental theme (budget and esthetics issue).

I thus wanted to start with 2 masters: Yan Lo & Kirai.

As to my pool of models, I would like to keep it limited to their crew boxes and all the oriental resers, namely:

• Soul Porter
  • Chiaki the Niece
  • Ashigaru
  • Yin
  • Toshiro
  • Izamu
  • Ikiryo
  • Lost Love
  • Seishin
  • Onryo
  • Gaki
  • Punk zombies
  • Datsue Ba
  • Shikome

Do you feel that this would be a competitive model pool where I could handle most strategies & schemes or should I add a few models to the pool (hanged, crooligans?) to ensure that I am not overly disadvantaged?

Komainu are Retainers and can be played with Yan Lo. They are really good and one of Toshiros summoning options, so I would add them to your list. Another model I would add is the new Carrion Emissary (Kirai Avatar can be used to proxy it). I had only one game with this guy yet, but imho it is incredible good.

I would also add some Crooligans for the strategies/schemes. Belles are also nice and perhaps your buddys don´t mind, if you substitute the models of the Belles by some Onryo to keep your theme...

Thanks for the feedback.

Komainu are Retainers and can be played with Yan Lo. They are really good and one of Toshiros summoning options, so I would add them to your list. Another model I would add is the new Carrion Emissary (Kirai Avatar can be used to proxy it). I had only one game with this guy yet, but imho it is incredible good.

I would also add some Crooligans for the strategies/schemes. Belles are also nice and perhaps your buddys don´t mind, if you substitute the models of the Belles by some Onryo to keep your theme...

The Komainu are indeed very interesting. I'll add them to the Christmas shopping list.

With the proper bases, it should be easy to fit the Crooligans into the theme. For the Belles, I may try to convert Oirans but I'm not so good at converting. Are they highly recommended or just a nice addition?

Is the hanged a must have? I hear lots of praises from Resser players about this model. In the box, one of them could pass for Asian while the other one is definetely causian so I'm not too kin to buy the box yet.

As to the Emissary, he could roughly fit into the theme. I will wait for the mini though as I am not a fan of proxying.

Punk zombies are not THAT oriental... ?:/   :P

The Punk zombies have katana swords and they are so good... They are thus asian enough for me :P

• Like 1

The Belles are really very strong and imho a must-have for any Resser player.

The Hanged is a bit situational imho, its big asset is whispers from beyond. Against some foes, that works very well (stop eat your fill and regeneration), but they also have some difficult matchups (high CA foes or obey). Imho the Hanged can be very nice, but I would not consider him a must-have....

The Punk zombies have katana swords and they are so good... They are thus asian enough for me :P

Ash Viki looked at her twin sister. Then they both looked at their katanas and back at themselves. Suddenly they both burst with laughter screaming 'We are so Asian too!!!!!' :D

The Belles are really very strong and imho a must-have for any Resser player.

The Hanged is a bit situational imho, its big asset is whispers from beyond. Against some foes, that works very well (stop eat your fill and regeneration), but they also have some difficult matchups (high CA foes or obey). Imho the Hanged can be very nice, but I would not consider him a must-have....

I guess I'll try to convert Oiran so that they look dead and fit the theme.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ash Viki looked at her twin sister. Then they both looked at their katanas and back at themselves. Suddenly they both burst with laughter screaming 'We are so Asian too!!!!!' :D

Unimpeded & Flurry help me to avoid looking too much at the details of the minis :P

On the other hand, their body type, cloths and faces are neutral enough that they can fit into the theme.

In the lore they are created from the remains of Samurai because Nicodem finds they have a much more powerful lifeforce/drive, or something like that. I'd have to re-read twisting fate i think to get the exact quote, but they certainly have a 3 kingdom tie in. 

• Like 1

Yep, the Belles are just great addition. Won't regret. As for punk zombies you could change the hair for something more oriental like bald with pony tail or the likes of it.

I never thought really about buying punk zombies... but the theme aspect could make them ok...

In the lore they are created from the remains of Samurai because Nicodem finds they have a much more powerful lifeforce/drive, or something like that. I'd have to re-read twisting fate i think to get the exact quote, but they certainly have a 3 kingdom tie in. 

You are right, it is in rising power from p.226. Kirai helps Nicodem rise a punk zombie.

I never thought really about buying punk zombies... but the theme aspect could make them ok...

I played against punk zombies invoked by Nicodem and they were a pain in the butt. I hope I can reproduce what I experienced :p.

Rising powers was the second book produced during first edition. 

The Tales from malifaux (Breechside broadcast) podcast is reading all the stories from the first edition books, Due to phone issues I'm not sure how far book 2 they are, btu they are currently reading the story. It explains a lot of Kirai history. Including who the lost love is. They are great podcasts, its well worth a listern, even if you know the stories, and if you don't know them, its good to

You can also buy an electronic copy on Drive thru RPG. 

Yep 1st edition fluff is gold.

I like the 2nd edition too but at the moment, I find it less epic than the previous stories (spoilers below)

(the silly botched ascension of the Governor left me a bit disappointed).

The stories are excellent, especially the ones from Books 1 & 2 (M1.5e rules & Rising powers).

The fluff podcast is excellent, I listen to it from time to time even if I read all the stories.

Edited by yool1981
explain hidden sentence