Feral Paints Malifaux (Again)

Mister Feral

This is actually my second thread, having started one back in 2010 which resulted in a few painted 1st Edition metals. I tried to revive it last year with a few Resurrectionists plastics but that project crashed and burnt because I wasn't prepared for the fragility of the plastics!

I guess this makes attempt no. 3! This time I thought out the potential assembly issues in advance and so far no problems with the Punk Zombie I've started:

img_0960.jpg

img_0961.jpg

The aim for these models is a realistic and desaturated look. After the Punk Zombies are done I guess next will be more Resurrectionists.

Feedback would be much appreciated!

Edited by Mister Feral
Changed text
  • Like 2

No reponses so far, so I'll post a painting update and see if anyone bites (pun!):

img_0962.jpg

Flesh on all three is done. A late-minute addition was a couple of yellow-green glazes to help really make them look undead.

Thinking about purchases in the future, would it be better (as a Malifaux gaming noob) to go for the 2-player starter set or a Molly crew box to properly start Resurrectionists?

Edited by Mister Feral
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

In the end I've decided to aim to do a Leveticus crew, so in preparation have slowly started to build up a collection of various Undead and Construct models I like to use with Levi's Pariah of Iron / Pariah of Bone upgrade.

For the pure construct model side of things, first thing purchased was Ryle;

img_0984.jpg

img_0985.jpg

I also got some Necropunks, and the Levi crew box will be next on my to-get list as well. :)

• Like 2

Off the top of my head, Baneblade Brown / Flayed One Flesh mix for basecoat, adding more Flayed for highlights. Baneblade for first shadows then adding in more Stormvermin Grey until pure Stormvermin. After that a number of grey glazes and blood effects were added!

Edited by Mister Feral
  • Like 1

Thanks!

I have some Necropunks ready to prime and get to the same painting stage as the others shown - whilst the skin colour scheme is still "fresh" in my mind. Ironic, them being dead and all! Terrible pun is terrible.

Thinking ahead, I keep seeing great Undead and Construct models I want to get (Flesh Construct, Yin, Teddy etc.) but I know the Leveticus crew box should be next on the purchase list.

I am down to start with a demo game or two next week at a new local club, so I'm really excited for that. I haven't properly played anything in years!

Edited by Mister Feral

• 9 months later...

I'm back!

Its been a while but I'll keep things brief.

In the end I chose Molly as my Master and I've played around half a dozen games since last year. Due to me buying up Minions I liked before picking a Master, my crew compositions have suffered and so has my gaming!

To fix this I've expanded my choices with some more appropriate Minions for her; Belles!

img_1477.jpg

Switched back to Green Stuff for these bases, basically copied a pic I saw in these forums (must find and thank the original post!). I've got some Drowned assembled already and I'm also hoping to pick up Sue - for some added Mercenary firepower. I also need to order some blank bases to revamp some older models as well.

Lots to do!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Keep on posting !....nice painting...I really like your skin tones and shall be experimenting with the colours you mentioned

Don't worry, I'm pretty motivated to paint these up at the moment. Thanks for the encouragement! I also had a 50ss and a 35ss game running Molly yesterday as well. My opponent feared the Drowned for sure!

I wanted to see if what I last done with said Drowned could work across the other models in my crew, so had to give it a go on Molly herself;

img_1523.jpg

img_1524.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting Molly....although just starting out my other half has already decided on Molly as her future master of choice so it will be great to follow your progress as I am currently only at undercoat stage...and at the speed I paint The Ripples Of Fate will be ancient history before I finish ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Molly....although just starting out my other half has already decided on Molly as her future master of choice so it will be great to follow your progress as I am currently only at undercoat stage...and at the speed I paint The Ripples Of Fate will be ancient history before I finish ;)

Im usually really slow to get anything done, but I'm on a roll at the moment! I've been batch-painting sections of models to keep things running smoothly.

~

I had some scale issues with Sue, so I used some TtB male parts to fix him;

img_1529.jpg

I've also used parts from the multi-part kit to start a Raethford model (very early days on that one though)!

• Like 2

On 10 September 2016 at 7:31 PM, sockwithaticket said:

Your decaying skin tones are just phenomenal.

Thanks!

I've picked up the sculpting tools to play around with some TtB plastics, started on two characters;

img_1551.jpg

Left one will be Raethford from the story encounter "Joint Task Force". Right one is the start of a Maniacal Necromancer from TtB Under Quarantine.

They both probably proxy quite well as Rasputina and Nicodem respectively in Malifaux as well! 

(assuming I manage to finish them!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2015 at 6:34 PM, Mister Feral said:

Thanks!

In the end I've decided to aim to do a Leveticus crew, so in preparation have slowly started to build up a collection of various Undead and Construct models I like to use with Levi's Pariah of Iron / Pariah of Bone upgrade.

For the pure construct model side of things, first thing purchased was Ryle;

img_0984.jpg

I also got some Necropunks, and the Levi crew box will be next on my to-get list as well. :)

Hi Feral! Any chance you could go more in-depth with the grey glazes? I bought Baneblade Brown and Flayed One Flesh because I like this way of painting undead skin so much. But I'm a little unsure about the grey glazes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wifstrand said:

Hi Feral! Any chance you could go more in-depth with the grey glazes? I bought Baneblade Brown and Flayed One Flesh because I like this way of painting undead skin so much. But I'm a little unsure about the grey glazes.

Hello!

Mechanicus Standard Grey is the colour I used. I believe I glazed it where the mid tones meet the final shading, after all the layering work was done.

Mostly at the bottom of muscles as far as I can see on the model (I have Ryle on the shelf near me.)