What to do against Neverborn?

Hey boys and girls in green,

I need your help!

I'm playing a lot against a good friend who plays mostly Neverborn and I haven't once won against him (at least 20 games...). Although I'm the king of bad hands and drawing the black joker for every important flip, there must be more to it. 

Right now we're practising for the german championships next month and yesterday we had two games of turf war/extraction and he choose Pandora. Since I was sure, that she is his pick in these two strats, I took Brewie with Gracie, Burt, 2 Shinobis, Fingers and Wesley. He had Pandora with a Beckoner, Baby, Teddy, a sorrow, widow, primodial...I lost badly, but especially because of bad draws (Brewie two rounds paralysed, because of horror duels with no bigger card to cheat than a 4...

Next round he took Tannen instead of the beckoner and I took Whisky and Francois instead of Fingers and one of the Shinobis. Still lost clearly. Once he gets his bubble up (Widows markers, Fears given form, lots of lost horror tests in Pandoras/Sorrows aura, Tannen makes cheating nearly impossible), theres no chance to get to the middle without dying quickly. Killing her is also hard, since her Df/wp 7 is more than anyone elses exept brewie (also she pushes out of combat after every defended duel), who had a hard time again (never got initiative, always on the backfoot to give her some poison).

Anyone any idea? I need her GONE!!!

second question: Any other tips for gremlin strategies against neverborn in other strats? I tend to use more firepower like Rami with Lenny, Ophelia/Wong and/or the pigapult.

• Like 1

Had a game against pandora where it turned out my usual team was quite potent against her. Wong (Ooh Glowy, Liquid Bravery), glowy Burt (dirty cheater), Gracie, Old Cranky, Slop Hauler, lightning bug, Mancha (condition removal).

This crew is very strong against pandora WP tricks (remember: liquid bravery lasts until Wong's next activation) but fares well against any threat. Glowy burt can ride around gracie, then charge in and do 3 attacks a turn (with glowy upgrade he has min 4 melee damage), it can kill a teddy in one activation and mow through incorporeal creatures. In retrospect I would change Slop hauler to one more lightning bug if I knew I play against Pandora. They can heal if they need to from trigger, but have so much utility and ca against incorps. Mancha went down pretty fast unfortunatelybut he can be immune to paralyze and remove conditions so even if a key figure is paralyzed he can help it.

One advice: do not do what I did and clump up against pandora, she can just stand in the middle and wreak havoc. Some push would be also nice in the team either to push her out or your creatures. Also, try to kill her totem fast. it probably won't be hard with glowy Burt and Ca actions, but it is a huge force multiplyer (-flips to wp is devastating).

• Like 1

I can't speak from experience against Pandora, having never played her, but for my Brewmaster force, I use Trixiebelle over any other Henchman. The ability to cheat fate on the initiative flip is important to ensure Ol' Brewy gets the initiative. Plus, she brings scheme running shenanigans with her "Presents? For Me?"  as well as another way to apply poison with "Buy You a Drink?".

• Like 1

Why are people suggesting Gracie? She goes down really fast against Pandora's style of death by a thousand cuts.

Had a game against pandora where it turned out my usual team was quite potent against her. Wong (Ooh Glowy, Liquid Bravery), glowy Burt (dirty cheater), Gracie, Old Cranky, Slop Hauler, lightning bug, Mancha (condition removal).

This crew is very strong against pandora WP tricks (remember: liquid bravery lasts until Wong's next activation) but fares well against any threat.

Liquid Bravery only affects Minions of which you have two unless I'm mistaken. It's good for Wong, though, naturally.

As for advice - Trixie is solid, Burt is solid, Francois is solid. Also, Zoraida is pretty potent against Pandora due to Z's Wp being 10. McTavish is also golden if you want firepower. With Z you can get two Focused Shots out of him on the first turn easy and that can be very, very painful.

• Like 2

I would go with either Wong or Ulix for this kind of a situation.  Blasts flatten everything he's bringing.  You don't need to care about WP duels, stay back and explode.  It's kind of hard for turf war, but if you kill everything Pandy has, you end up winning on points in the end.  

Ulix would probably be my main pick though.  I mean, yeah, he likes to brick up, but you don't need to commit him to the fight until your WP 10 pigapult launching explosives clears out the middle of the board.  Just shoot Pandora dead, or the widow weaver, or...  And if you've got stuffed piglets, you get those wonderful blast markers too.  Summoning piglets gets you activation control.  You're mobile enough to not get locked down by Pandy.  Worst case, the end of each turn after you've outactivated the other side of the board the pigapult drops two piglets into the zone.  You get turf war,  your opponent gets to waste time killing pigs.

• Like 1

Why are people suggesting Gracie? She goes down really fast against Pandora's style of death by a thousand cuts.

This crew is very strong against pandora WP tricks (remember: liquid bravery lasts until Wong's next activation) but fares well against any threat.

Liquid Bravery only affects Minions of which you have two unless I'm mistaken. It's good for Wong, though, naturally.

As for advice - Trixie is solid, Burt is solid, Francois is solid. Also, Zoraida is pretty potent against Pandora due to Z's Wp being 10. McTavish is also golden if you want firepower. With Z you can get two Focused Shots out of him on the first turn easy and that can be very, very painful.

Hey Math!

I did not suggest Gracie I just told what team I played that worked against Pandora. However at the end of the game only Gracie (on max hp) and Wong lived against Pandy and Doppelganger. If you can you should stay away from Pandora with most of your team so Gracie doesn't have to stick around. In my game Pandora had Insidious Madnesses as scheme runners, Gracie can kill them easily and heal up to full quite often. I guess she could also kill woes if she really needs to.

I don't see your point about liquid bravery. Even if it would only give the minions +2 Wp it would worth much more against Pandora. It saves you cards possibly at the constant horror duels, it defends against her crew quite well (and less failed wp duels are less damage you get). It also gives the enemy -flips if he attacks your master with wp duels. I would have payed 3SS for it if I had to :D. Also it could be a trap if you have more minions because than you stick together with more units and Pandora loves it.

The team wasn't a counter Pandora build just a build that happened to be good against her :).

Brewmaster vs Pandora could be a really interesting game since they both love to be in the middle of the enemy team. I would say Brewie could have the upper hand because of the lot of wp schenanigans he can pull off.

Also it could be hard to kill pandora without some really good cards and good beaters. But if you kill her crew she becames exponentially less threatening. I would start with her totem, you can kill it very fast with spells or glowy. Probably Widow Weaver should be next and you are quite good from there against wp stuff. Beware if she has the upgrade that forces you to do a df HIGH duel or suffer 3 damage. It is really strong but it works on her crew also. So if you have push you can fedex Pandy back to her crew after she activated.

• Like 1

Lenny seems to be more of a liability against never born. With willpower one he is too easily manipulated by enemy Masters. Pandora can make him smack the crap out of him self, Lilith can swap them out for a nekima,  collodi is starting off on street flips against him, zoraida obeys, etc. I would just be very careful when taking him against most never born. As always, positioning is key.

• 2 weeks later...

Lenny has no business battling Neverborn.  Wong, Francois and Burt certainly are all great choices with their wp7.  Old Cranky is fantastic against Neverborn as well buffing them to a wp8.  Just this past week I dismantled a Pandora crew using those four models. 

Stuffed Piglets can also be used to great effect.  Many Neverborn have really low wounds, so the damage the stuffed piglets fightens them.  You also don't mind randomizing into the Piglets if you're shooting.