Where to start

Nibbler

Hi Folks, 

I'm about to start with this shiny little gem of the games.

I already decided to go with the righteous forces of the guild, but now I need a little help, which of my favourite two masters will be the one to take my malifaux-virginity.

Lady J is a blast, not only optical, but I love her box with the Death Marshals who are just so boss... holy cow

On the other hand I read that she is not really a often chosen pick.

The second Master who caught my eye is Lucius, but I fear, that with his amount of shenanigans he is a bit difficult for a bloody beginner.

would be nice to get some first hand information on how effective both are on the field and how you expand after buying the boxed set.

Before I took the guts to write here, I read the pullmyfinger entries for both guys and they sound very nice in their own niche, but I'd like to get more information on their playstile to get to a satisfying decision.

have a nice day 

Edited by Nibbler

Welcome to Malifaux, and the Guild especially!

Lucius is in many respects the worse choice. First, he is very crew dependent, so you'll need a larger collection to make him shine. Second, his box set is nice but not sufficient to play him. Third, he is difficult to play for the reasons you stated. Lastly, he is generally seen as a slightly below the curve Master who isn't often played in competitive tournaments.

Lady Justice on the other hand may not be the premier choice for some Schemes, and she is certainly straight forward and somewhat predictable. However, she is easy to learn, fun to play, and has a great box set that mashes well with other Guild choices. I'd get her in your place. Add the Ortegas or Sonnia box (or both) and you have a pretty good Guild starting force.

• Like 2

Is the lone rider a valuable asset for a Lady J crew?

I definitely like the model, but I have to many models for other systems, that got bought out of optical reasons and will never see fight, a problem I want to avoid in malifaux ;)

That's not really an issue in Malifaux. There are below the curve models, but no real unplayable choices. The infamous codex corpse is not a thing.

The Lone Marshal is an independent model that does his thing regardless of Master. Justice appreciates an independent runner model. It's not the best thing 8 SS can buy in Guild, but it's not bad.

"The infamous codex corpse"?

I do agree with Dirial but there are certainly models you won't be missing if you don't have them. I don't think anyone needs Guild Guard for anything, for example.

Hm. I translated a German term and just assumed that there would be an English term close enough that people would understand what I mean. Codexleiche means an entry in a 40k Codex that is as good as dead, because it's never put on the table. It's just rotting in there.

Yeah, Guild Guard are not that great, but if you use them, they still contribute to the game, and sometimes do good stuff. Also, they are cheap bodies. They are not wasted SS, just a little subpar. Unlike a Night Troll in Hordes for example.

Ah, that's a cool term but not used in English. Codex creep is a term that describes the gradual increase in power of new releases but there isn't a specific term for a useless new release. Good stuff!

And yeah, Guild Guard aren't actively bad - if they were a point cheaper they would be a crazy bargain so it's not like they are horrible mispriced or anything. But I just meant that if you have the whole Faction, you aren't very likely to put the Guard onto the table ever.

And yeah, Guild Guard aren't actively bad - if they were a point cheaper they would be a crazy bargain so it's not like they are horrible mispriced or anything. But I just meant that if you have the whole Faction, you aren't very likely to put the Guard onto the table ever.

Which is really unfortunately because a lot of the Guild Guard models seem super nice and would love to play an active guard patrol crew. They really just need some more heavy hitters in theme (wish Executioners got classified as a guardsmen, I think that would have really helped both the executioner and the guard patrol). 

Anyways bBack on topic though I would disagree with the Perdita box with Justice. Outside of Francisco none of the family really synergize or help Justice. Granted Francisco is one of the best henchmen in the game (and an amazing choice for Justice). If you don't want to have 2 masters though at the start when learning the game Austringers might be a better choice just to build up on what Justice's box has. Austringers can help with schemes, speed up your crew, harass the enemy from long range and get Justice out of a iffy situation. I also really like the pathfinder with Justice and Austringers.

Though if you don't mind starting with 2 masters both Perdita and Justice box are good choices. 

Justice works well enough with Santiago, and Papa is his usual self (meaning he really wants Death Marshals). Judge's damage with Hold This is pretty gnarly, so there is decent synergy apart from Franc.

But I agree, I'd probably prefer the Sonnia box. Inspired Witchlings hurt pretty badly.

If you only look at the number of models, Hoffman box is the best choice to expand Justice crew. Everything in it is good with her (apart from the other master and totem obviously.)

Very true. Justice, Hoffman and Peacekeeper is a pretty decent start to Guild as well.

Which is really unfortunately because a lot of the Guild Guard models seem super nice and would love to play an active guard patrol crew. They really just need some more heavy hitters in theme (wish Executioners got classified as a guardsmen, I think that would have really helped both the executioner and the guard patrol). 

Anyways bBack on topic though I would disagree with the Perdita box with Justice. Outside of Francisco none of the family really synergize or help Justice. Granted Francisco is one of the best henchmen in the game (and an amazing choice for Justice). If you don't want to have 2 masters though at the start when learning the game Austringers might be a better choice just to build up on what Justice's box has. Austringers can help with schemes, speed up your crew, harass the enemy from long range and get Justice out of a iffy situation. I also really like the pathfinder with Justice and Austringers.

Though if you don't mind starting with 2 masters both Perdita and Justice box are good choices. 

Frankie is awesome, and as Dirial noted, Papa is a good addition. Santiago can shoot into melee, which is useful with a melee focussed crew that might need a "last blow", and Nino can snipe scheme runners. I am failing to see where the posse does not help out the lady J box.

The J box adds some minions to the otherwise enforcer heavy family box, and adds some good melee options.

Frankie is awesome, and as Dirial noted, Papa is a good addition. Santiago can shoot into melee, which is useful with a melee focussed crew that might need a "last blow", and Nino can snipe scheme runners. I am failing to see where the posse does not help out the lady J box.

The J box adds some minions to the otherwise enforcer heavy family box, and adds some good melee options.

I actually forgot about Papa :(.

Really wouldn't recommend Santiago or Nino though, unless you also get Abuela to marry Lady J into the family. Both of their more fun tricks only work around family members. Problem is the little synergy Lady J does is more focused around minions and by the time you include all the family that is your crew. Though to each there own.