Basing 'Pipes'

Otylia

I was thinking along the lines of straws - but had also thought of the strengthening issue.

I think the sprues are a little thinner than I was planning.... but I'll keep it in mind if I can' think of an alternative

Maybe have a look at some different sized Balsa Dowel Rods? Might work?

pictures%20009.jpg

• Like 2

The sprues will probably work for some of the pipes, but on a few bases I was definitely looking to create a little more height, so I'll take a look at the balsa dowels and pvc alternatives.  

I assume the dowels are something a craft store would carry?  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  I live by the worst Michael's on the planet, they seem to carry almost exclusively floral arrangement products.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Hmm.  I don't know how much balsa wood Michaels is going to carry.  According to their website, you'd be looking at getting the "Revell Balsa Project Bag" which would either be in the vanishingly small (plastic) model kit section, or the woodcrafting section with the little wooden boxes and bags of unpainted wooden blocks.

The sprues will probably work for some of the pipes, but on a few bases I was definitely looking to create a little more height, so I'll take a look at the balsa dowels and pvc alternatives.  

I assume the dowels are something a craft store would carry?  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  I live by the worst Michael's on the planet, they seem to carry almost exclusively floral arrangement products.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Ebay would be a good place to look first, either that or any hardware shop. Or you know use "left over" wooden dowels from flat pack furniture. 

• 2 weeks later...

Drinking straws would be good for pipe but you would need to strengthen them somehow

Depends on how you are making them. If you cut straws in half, then it is really easy to strengthen them and they work to look half submerged or something like that. Also depending on straw size, put sprue bits in them (longer bits are better) and that gives them some strength.