Working on Kirai and Tara

D_acolyte

So after debating doing Molly I ended up going Kirai, she one on looks and a little bit of play. I want to build up some options for Kirai and Tara mostly focusing on Spirits and Horrors, does anyone have any recommendations?

I have the plastic boxes for both, Death Marshals, Toshiro, 4  metal Night Terrors, a metal Shikome.

i'm not sure about tara but for kirai i would grab a flesh construct to summon off, datsue ba and izamu as they both work really well with kirai, for summoning: drowned, hanged, gaki (for dats summon trigger) and another shikome. shikome and hanged are your expensive but worth it summons, drowned are a nice resilient summon who just keep getting better and better for me. there is a bunch of other models that show up in my lists but this is the efficient core that always turns up. 

no problem, i'm keen to hear how they go for you. Especially if you can get tara to work, i love her back story and the look of her crew but the couple of games i played i found it hard to get her to work for me. I have seen people mention using belles to lured an enemy in to use her temporal shift on.

Tara really plays better in Outcasts that she does in Ressers in my opinion.  The Students are definitely useful for her and you also want Punk Zombies, all of which can be summoned by Karina (although as an Enforcer she can't use SS so you're going to need a high crow to get one out).  Punk Zombies in particular are excellent because of HtK meaning that even after they've been summoned/buried/lost half their health they're still going to take 2AP to take out (barring a few exceptions that ignore HtK) and when you can deposit them with Fast into an enemies face they will cause carnage.  Death Marshalls are almost an auto-take with Tara to give you ways of Burying things (your own and enemies).  If you want to do her trick to Unbury enemy models and control them it's much easier to Bury them with Marshalls than with Tara's own Glimpse of the Void Trigger. 

Bete is an excellent choice with Tara although be wary as she likes to dump cards if you have any Void models around but Bete really requires you to keep hold of one 10 if possible.  However, having the freedom to Unbury Bete when you want is excellent and don't forget that you don't have to wait until she dies before taking Death Rattles, you could let her take an attack/interact etc. and then Bury rather than risk your hand being drained.  Rogue Necromancy or any other big beater (Nothing Beast, Killjoy) all work well with Tara.  Ping them for a wound to give them Fast and have them fail their GtV Trigger so they're Buried with Fast and then during Tara's second activation bring them out wherever you choose right in the enemies face (it helps to have activation control with this trick so Tara is activating after all of the enemies models).  Bishop is also very good with (though as with Killjoy you have to pay the merc tax in Ressers but he's totally worth it).

I ran Tara as a resur twice and won one games tied the other because I was an idiot. I do believe that outcast have a slightly better build for her because of there good roster and the I Pay Better upgrade, but my LGS did not have an outcast box I wanted during the LGS support promotion.

In one game I took the Rogue Necromancy, that guy is mean and vicious, and in the other I took Tosiro and my deathmartials loved him as it let them bury more often than not because of they gain a positive attack flip to it.

Other wise I had the nothing beast with 0 ss upgrade, 2 void wrechs, Karina with 0 ss upgrade, and 2 death martials, all of which did well. The nothing beast did not even and scared both opponent. I am leaning twords he offensive bury build and not the beast bomb.

I am excited about Lovelace and the Forgotten Martial, both sort of scream Tara to me. I will probably try her with a reduced amount of nothing creatures eventually as well as trying her give out slow build as well.

• Like 1

Currently playing Tara exclusively as my last resser master, sitting at 5 wins and a tie. I wrote up a longer bit on her in another thread around here somewhere. We know Izamu works with Kirai, but he also works well with Tara. Izamu's biggest problem is his slow walk speed. Kirai can swirl him a good bit up the board, putting him in any good spot that another spirit has already made it near. Tara can give him fast, so an extra walk as needed or even better an extra attack, and beyond that she can get him almost anywhere on the board with her bury/unbury cycle. Walk him up one side with a Death Marshal, looking to put a lot of force on that side, then bury him with the Death Marshal and unbury him with Tara clear on the other side of the board at the end of the turn after your opponent has shifted forces to counter where he used to be.

The trick about Tara is that her 'thing' isn't the bomb, and it isn't the offensive burying. Those are her tricks, they keep her from being a completely predictable entity on the board. Her thing, though, the sustainable turn after turn thing she should be doing is AP addition. Giving out fast to the majority of your crew every turn is kind of like bringing an extra 20, 25 soulstones to the table. If it takes two of her AP to get in that perfect position to pull that off, it's worth it, every time. Once you get to that playstyle with her, the question of what to bring with her becomes "What models want fast?", and everything is better with fast.

I wish you luck with Kirai, still can't wrap my head around her summoning mechanism as being a good thing. It works with flesh constructs, but it still always feels like I'm doing as much damage to my own guys as my opponent does.

I think the best thing to do with Kirai summoning is to use the Seishin and mindless zombies to summon off of, models that do not do much to begin with and that you get for "free". yes this will kill the models you summon off of but I think it is worth it to keep a healthy core set.

I am not sure I agree with the giving of AP being Tara's main thing. It is defiantly a good trick and is important to keep in mind but it can also be dangerous as you have to also give an enemy fast during your pulse or your spending multiple of her AP to give multiple of your models fast. I often say master have 2 major stiles or mechanics that make them work, I feel with Tara that is burying and AP management this does not mean one is that much better than the other just that these are what you should look at when you look at playing her. I also rather give my enemies slow then me fast with Dead of Winter.