Malifaux Starter Set Box

Hello

I've been looking for an entry into this game-world for some time, and this looks like it - possibly. 

First query, unless I'm entirely blind there's absolutely no reference or discussion here on the impending starter box coming out? Just curious why, or if I am indeed blind and seemingly can not see that wood for the trees?

So, this box will contain new miniatures not available anywhere else, but to me, they're the most bland looking miniatures for the game. I don't mean to be negative and it's just my observation. The positive side of me says they it's just Wyrd's way of setting an affordable entry point both in terms of easy painting and assembly - the cynical side of me say's, well, they were models that have been laying around for years let's just get rid of them. Anyway, does anyone have any opinion on them in relation to the multiple other faction sets available?

Fate Decks - the fate cards in this starter box are unique in design, or so I'm led to believe. Does anyone know if they plan on releasing them separately? Part of me thinks the miniatures aren't up to 'scratch' in this box but I like the idea of a unique set of fate cards. If I can buy them later or separately though.... I'll get them that way.

Lastly, a digital rules download? Come on. Even the relatively cheaper printed 'rules only, no fluff' would have been preferable.

Please don't misunderstand, Malifaux looks like a damn awesome game. The characters, story, miniatures (well, the one's not in this starter box) are all amazingly detailed, but I can't help but think this starter box could have been.... more eloquently presented.

Either way, I'm looking forward to entering and trying this out finally.

Thanks
David

Some good points, here are some answers (my opinion only).

1. Wyrd have some lovely models but many of the plastics are horribly intricate. To a degree it is hard to recommend certain models to a brand new wargamer (think 0 hobby experience). As an example the Misaki box has some delicate arm joints on the ninjas and both chain based weapons are very thin and easy to break. Misaki herself is in a gratuitous number of pieces.  Comparably while this models may appear bland they look like they will be easy to assemble. It isn't like they are the horrible quality of say, Battle for Skull Pass, they still look decent just not with the same flair as the rest of the range.

2. Fate decks appear to be exclusive to the set at the moment and so far there has been no hint (to my knowledge) that they will be released separate.

3.On the digital rules thing Wyrd has taken the middle ground. Yes they are lacking compared to say the GW starter sets (complete mini rulebook plus starter rules) but from what I recall having the complete rules included (even digitally) is a marked improvement over say Privateer Press who only included a bare bones copy of the rules in their starter sets (this may have changed from since I played).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On the links listed above, change the 'wyrd-games.net' to 'themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com' (all without the quotes) and you should get there.

And it should be available in person at GenCon and whenever the Wyrd online store opens up later this week, probably late Thursday/early Friday morning.

I am about to dip my toe into the world of Malifaux, and the starter box looks like an amazingly easy way into the game.

As a Brand new player i will probably be looking to expand with a crew box set at the same time as purchasing the starter set, would i be better expanding on the factions in the box or pick another faction that isnt?

All the figures in the starter set are mercenaries, so you will be able to hire any 2 of them into your new crew regardless of which faction you select.

Whilst the starter set is slightly more useful if you want to play Guild or Neverborn, actually I would just decide on which Master you like the look of, and buy that one.

Funny but true.  With all the models being mercenaries, you could have a list with both henchmen and both enforcers from the starter box in the same crew (assuming you're doing a Neverborn or Guild crew).  If you do a non-Guild/Neverborn crew, as mercenaries you could still take both henchmen or both enforcers...

Silly Neverborn Crew

Leader: any neverborn master

Henchman: Angeleyes & Dr. Grimwell

Enforcers: Nurse Heartsbane & Scion of Black Blood

Minions: Bloodwretches

etc...