Kirai Sundering question

Soseito

Question

I looked through the forums and I couldn't find an answer so I figured I would ask myself.

For this example lets assume Kirai is casting Sundering on a Terror tot. I flip a crow allowing me to declare the Feast trigger. During the damage flip I get a severe allowing Kirai to one-shot the poor tot. I wanted to know if the Devour soul condition is applied before or after damage calculation.

In short, if Kirai kills a model with sundering can I turn the model into a Gaki or would I have to weaken it, declare the trigger, and then let another action kill the sundered model?

14 answers to this question

Also the Sonnia + burning + Witchling Summoning faq gives very good precedence in this topic as well.

Of course, that would be applying one FAQ ruling to a different situation and we don't do that around here, so...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I really tried)

• Like 1

Of course, that would be applying one FAQ ruling to a different situation and we don't do that around here, so...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I really tried)

Oh shut it Yan Lo boy. :D it's the exact same just different names and models. :D

• Like 1

At first glance I thought there could be some sort of difference between these two cases, as Sonnias ability occurs "when a model is reduced to 0 wounds" while Kirais ability occurs "When this model is killed". This prompted me to take another look at the rules. Page 51 of the big rule book says that "when a model is reduces to 0 wounds, it is immediately killed".  Thus the difference in wording doesn't seem to matter.

On a related note: Let's say that Lynch has the upgrade that lets him unbury Huggy after an enemy model with the Brilliance condition is killed within 6". Lynch uses his Play for Blood ability on an enemy model with a single wound remaining. He hits with the ability, while declaring the trigger to inflict the Brilliance condition. While both Sonnias and Kirais triggers are After Damaging, the timing of this trigger is After Succeeding. Does this make a difference as to whether Huggy is unburied or not?

Not really. If he was Brilliant already, Huggy could unbury, but as the target is removed during Step 5 and After Succeeding triggers only get applied after Step 5, the model would die without the Brilliance condition.

It doesn't really matter when the model is removed, if it is killed during step 5.