How come Raethford is cooler than Rasputina

Nukemouse

I was looking through the crossroads book and i found Raethford, a cool cat to be sure who can put his foes on ice and never stops chillin'.

But Rasputina, the playable frost master for Arcanists is so much less interesting! She lacks the summon/smash Raethford has and his icy toughness. I like that idea of mixing it up close and spreading wintery death to those near me, which is the opposite of Rasputina's style.

Is there any chance of a Raethford or Raethford-like Arcanist appearing any time soon?

I was looking through the crossroads book and i found Raethford, a cool cat to be sure who can put his foes on ice and never stops chillin'.

But Rasputina, the playable frost master for Arcanists is so much less interesting! She lacks the summon/smash Raethford has and his icy toughness. I like that idea of mixing it up close and spreading wintery death to those near me, which is the opposite of Rasputina's style.

Is there any chance of a Raethford or Raethford-like Arcanist appearing any time soon?

I don't think so. You could use Raethford in friendly games, though.

I think most players are cool with him appearing into friendly games He doesn't seem overly strong.

Have you tried him? Because he is quite strong. His Armor and Soul Stones work in interesting ways together making him utterly, insanely resilient. He is a very good Summoner and really killy.

He is a bit one-dimensional, though.

Yeah, he doesn't seem balanced in any way. Which is kind of the point in that scenario, I think.

I also don't think him very interesting, really. His crunch is just "Summon, punch, blast, repeat", and his fluff is just "madman gone off the rails". But that's for each of us to decide themselves.

• Like 1

I have to agree in that I think this model and it's rules are extremely interesting and he really breaths some fresh air into a very niche facet of the arcanists. I feel like Raethford has more depth than is given credit. He is a brawler no doubt, but I feel like his real game is summoning gamin and bombing them for blast and pulse damage. The fact that he is also M&SU is interesting, giving him access to BET and powered by flame, both of which function well in a gamin heavy list. 

I for one would be thrilled if Raethford would someday become a legal master to the arcanist roster, however I won't hold my breath. 

Well, don't forget even if he is one dimensional in a rebalanced full release that could be addressed through master specific upgrades. Most masters get quite a few of those. Masters without upgrades aren't always super deep, its how you build the rest of your list and which upgrades you take that breathe life into them.

Yeah, he doesn't seem balanced in any way. Which is kind of the point in that scenario, I think.

I also don't think him very interesting, really. His crunch is just "Summon, punch, blast, repeat", and his fluff is just "madman gone off the rails". But that's for each of us to decide themselves.

He is intentionally over powered because you can only use him in a scenario when you'll be fighting against two opponents.

Rasputina (like all other masters) is only designed to fight one opponent.

• Like 3