Wastrels - what's a good number?

Abbazabba

I have painted one of the wastrels and was wondering if that would be an advisable stopping point for them specifically. I could see myself taking two, occasionally, but moving on to paint the more useful guild riflemen and a couple thunder archers seems like a better use of time for now. Just wondering what your recommendations are so far as the practicality of these miniatures are in game. Thank you, folks!

I rarely use any models more than 2 unless they are something really special. Wastrels are good but I probably wouldn't see myself fielding more than 2 at a time. Cool sculpts though. For the first few games with McCabe I think I'd stay in theme and take all 3, but after that, not really. 

They don't have a (0) so I'm not sure exactly what Queeg does for them. That being said, Queeg is awesome in so many ways already...

I've struggled to get much out of Wastrels. There is a lot that they can do, but getting them to do it is a struggle. The most success I've had is running them with Lucius - if I draw a 6-7 of a suit that does something helpful (or a 1-3 of the right suit that I can discard for bravado) then Cast Offs is an awesome ability on a 4 stone model. Lucy gets the Wastrel into position with a (1) action, the Wastrel then gives me a heal on something (and with Lucius there's always something to heal), and then the trigger on Cast Offs does as much work as I need out of a model that cheap. Lucius also means that I don't usually end up wasting their focused condition if I hit the trigger on Pocket handgun. Plus, Lucius gets enough scheme markers down with Hidden Sniper and Lackeys that Petrified Feather is a useful trigger.

That being said, it's a real struggle to pick them over Guild Guard in most situations.

I also don't have McCabe (I've only ever proxied them) and they have obvious synergy with him. It's probably not worth it, but if I had a hand of middling/low tomes I could see Black Flashing a Wastrel, passing him Badge of Speed, having him activate, walk, Cast Offs for Soulstone Bullet (because Sh 5 with a positive twist doing 2/3/5 and blasts is awesome, it's even better if he hits the trigger) and giving a second Wastrel the Badge, rinse-repeat with the second Wastrel who passes it back to the first, who reactivates and passes the badge back to McCabe. McCabe's (1) and (0) have then generated a total of 5 ap (6 if the first Wastrel triggers "Bet you a fiver...") and you've had a hilarious string of activations. I really need to get McCabe, he seems like so much fun... Dammit.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the insights! I never thought of using them in that kind of chain with the badge of speed! The problem I was coming across is that when you use cast offs, you discard the upgrade before resolving the action and so can't cycle the cards if you had to discard one for the trigger. Seems like it can get quite costly for more than 1-2 doing what you need them to do, resource-wise.

Edit: snap! Just reread it and it looks like they only have to have the upgrade attached when they are using bravado and not at the end... Well I might have to paint a second, after all! Already painted both my archers yesterday, anyways. Looks like I'll do the riflemen first, though.

I all fairness you can do something similar if you just give minion X reactivate and pass the badge to a Wastrel. It's less fun, and technically you get one fewer AP out of it, but you can just have the wastrel do their thing and pass the badge to the reactivating minion. The chain would also work with the Elixir but it would waste the Saber and be counterproductive with the shirt.

Riflemen are awesome, I personally can't wait until the Mounted Guards drop so that I can run a glorious McCabe fox hunt list - everybody is on a horse, with a hound.

I usually run 2 with McCabe, although I will try more in the future; people generally either focus on them with their crew's riff-raff and they go down (hopefully in 3+ hits),  or they are ignored and perform unexpectedly well.

People often seem to miss that the Wastrel's Bravado ability is to discard a card to gain ANY suit to the total, not just the suit of the card that was discarded. Works out well not just for Cast-offs, but their attack actions too (hello extra Glowing Sabre Critical Strikes!). I also missed for a few games that their gun gets a :+fate to the attack flip.

Also, Ruthless can be golden if you know what crew you're facing...