When do you hire Steam Arachnid Swarms?

Bengt

I realise that they'll get summoned in Ramos crews occasionally, but does anyone hire them?

They have quite high damage potential, but skill 5 (which is low for a 8 point model) makes it a long shot. They are also fairly tough if there are spare scrap around since their healing track is relatively high. Finally they can destroy scheme markers with the best of them, it's kind of blunt though since they take both player's markers.

I think that both Arachnids and Arachnid Swarms are balanced around Ramos summoning them as opposed to models hiring them. I think that both are somewhat overshadowed by other options in the faction. Since they are M&SU I have to wonder whether Ironsides' Hand-Picked Men (a Hand-Picked Swarm!) would do to it - it would have a pretty crazy potential for sure!

I think that both Arachnids and Arachnid Swarms are balanced around Ramos summoning them as opposed to models hiring them. I think that both are somewhat overshadowed by other options in the faction. Since they are M&SU I have to wonder whether Ironsides' Hand-Picked Men (a Hand-Picked Swarm!) would do to it - it would have a pretty crazy potential for sure!

Oh, I think Steam Arachnids are solid hires for 4 SS, they are fairly fast and resilient. Wind Gamin will be a faster cheap model, but it has 2 less Df and Wp and sometimes you'll want construct and/or M&SU on your guys so I don't think I'll stop considering Steam Arachnids even then.

I think they have a place in any M&SU heavy list. Both BET and PBF work great in relation to the swarm and given it's built in trigger, it has the potential to really set something a blaze.

Another mention would have to be Colette. One particular nasty combo is to seduce something with a performer and that makes the swarms trigger hit much more effectively. Also prompting it can get extra duty via it's trigger if your lucky enough with your flips.