hit point conflict

princejericho

So I'm a new fatemaster walking a friend through char gen and we get to the point where he has to calculate in hit points. He didn't take the toughness skill and he has a rresilience of 0, the rule book says to level toughness to 4 and add these two things together and thats his hit points but what if he has neither the skill nor points in resilience? Is his hp just 1

Actually, he'll have 4 Wounds. You're misunderstanding the Calculation.

Wounds = Toughness Skill + (1/2 * Resilience Aspect) + 4

You will round up in case of a fraction.

In your characters case, his health will be :

= Toughness Skill (0) + (1/2 * Resilience (0)) + 4

= 0 + (1/2 * 0) + 4

= 4.

He will have 4 wounds, not 1.

The other factor is that you ignore the Resilience Aspect if it's Negative.

Does that help? I understand your confusion though. It can be confusing to read for the first time. I've found just showing it as a simple math equation is easier to understand.

No problem.

Be aware though that you don't die when you run out of wounds, you take Critical Effects, which seriously vary in severity.

Thus, even if you've taken damage WAY over your wounds, you can still fight surprisingly well. Make sure you read over that section of the rulebook, it makes a huge difference to the survivability of players. Basically, death will actually prove pretty darn rare, which makes sense with how character-focused this game is.

Alright will do mate. I have him working on his backstory while I browse the interwebs for help and other things. my second biggest challenge...finding out how the heck to interpret "the jester dances where he will" and trying to not take it too literally

Make a traitor to one faction who always tells bad jokes.

• Like 1

Though note:  -20 hit points is pretty much auto-death.

As for the jester thing, the rest have given good suggestions.  The "jester" is also often a representation of foolishness, so you could just base it around someone making a really bad decision.