Whiskey Golem

Whiskey Golem

I was very surprised that it wasn't taken. Maybe everyone thought "thats already taken for sure. Ill pick another"

But I have ordered my first 2 boxes (I wanted 2 forces so I could teach friends how to play) and I bought the Hide and Seek Dreamer Crew for Neverborn and I bought The Bayou Boss Som'er Teeth Jones crew box for Gremlins. I think I'm leaning more to the neverborn side because I like the idea of fighting people with creepy babies/teddy bears/puppets. But I also think that fighting with a bunch of drunk goblins is going to be hilarious. 

I was very surprised that it wasn't taken. Maybe everyone thought "thats already taken for sure. Ill pick another"

But I have ordered my first 2 boxes (I wanted 2 forces so I could teach friends how to play) and I bought the Hide and Seek Dreamer Crew for Neverborn and I bought The Bayou Boss Som'er Teeth Jones crew box for Gremlins. I think I'm leaning more to the neverborn side because I like the idea of fighting people with creepy babies/teddy bears/puppets. But I also think that fighting with a bunch of drunk goblins is going to be hilarious. 

I applaud your thinking..good choices.. oh if you want drunk goblins..sorry ..gremlins, then brewmaster is out soon!

I don't approve of gremlins, but neverborn are great fun. Less things are as satisfying than smacking people with their own toys....

I think I'm leaning more to the neverborn side because I like the idea of fighting people with creepy babies/teddy bears/puppets. But I also think that fighting with a bunch of drunk goblins is going to be hilarious. 

I'm new to Malifaux as well and also debating between neverborn and goblins for this exact same reasons (and also leaning towards neverborn).  Let me know what you thoughts as you get into game play with both of them!

Okay, I've been able to play one full game and a half a game with the Neverborn Dreamer crew. I was lucky and got the Johanna (Johan's female self from what I'm told) from The Bayou Boss box, which works great with the Dreamer as a mercenary. She has an ability that can take away all conditions which is excellent if you want to spend a couple of turns summoning and still maintain the healing ability with him. 

I played against the Gremlin box that I got and, if played right, turn 2 can really get botched for your opponent. Double walking the Skeeters 20 inches up the board can give a decent mini-tarpit since they have a positive twist on disengaging strikes. That really caught me off guard with the Dreamer's crew because I was keeping everything pretty tight up the board so he easily engaged 7/9 of my models. Had to kill them before I could move on which then game him a leg up in points. 

I will say this, the Dreamer box only comes with the ability to have 2 non-peon models on the field. If I hadn't lucked out with getting Johanna in my Gremlin box I would be between a rock and a hard place. Out of the box, I can already tell Ill need to focus on buying more models if I want to even compete in small games. If those two or three models die, it's game over. I feel like Nightmares are going to be a tough style to master but once I get there, they will pay major winning dividends. 

All that to say that I really enjoy the Nightmares. Pounding down on Wp is super fun and their melee combat isnt bad either. Their whole ideology seems to be to gang up around one or two opposing models and explode them in one or two activations with crazy stacked damage (I'm looking at you Alps). I'm going to love having a Nightmare force, but I'm not going to love having to be patient for it. I can't find the majority of the models I want yet, other than Teddy. I'll be waiting for the Widow Weaver, Lelu, Lilitu, and the Stitched Together to re-release as plastics. I can't even find used ones on ebay. I know Widow Weaver is coming out this summer, but I really need all the others to build on my strategy and be versatile enough to take on the different strategies. 

I'll definitely update again once I have played the Gremlins a couple of times. I have some piglets coming in the mail that I will want to paint before putting them out there, but I want them so that I can use Lenny to throw pigs and summon them, because it will be killarious. 

Great you're having fun. Dreamer is not the most beginner friendly crew starter, I admit.

Note that Johanna cannot remove the Waking condition on Dreamer. The condition itself says so (cause Rebel Yell is an action).