first outing with Zoraida... ever!!!

Jewomie

So, you know it is an ill omen when you declare Gremlins, and your Opponent's first words are, "Oh dude... don't hate me..."

Last night I had my first game with Zoriada (ever) and hired her as a gremlin master. We played 41 ss had Reckoning, and I took deliver message and squatter's rights. My buddy took Deliver Message and Breakthrough.

I knew I would need to be killy, but had my heart set on trying Z after ignoring her since 2009 when I started playing. So I took her and figured I would load up on Kin models to try to shore up the killing power. My crew looked something like this

Zoraida
-Crystal Ball
-Hex Bag
-Hexed Among You
Voodoo Doll
Waldgeist
Francois
Raphael
Remi
Wild Boar

My opponent took
Viktoria
Viktoria2
Malifaux Child
Ama No Zaku
Freikorps Strongarm
Desperate Merc

Killjoy

I used the Hexed among you upgrade to drop the Wild Boar on his half of the table knowing full well it would get killed but hoping that since I couldn't control it with hog wisperers or anything, that he would just run amok back there for a minute and at least tie my opponent up for a turn. MAYBE I would get a deliver message, but I wasn't counting on that. I also deployed my Waldgeist at about the center line in cover.

His first activation? charged the pig with Sword Vik and killed it. lol. so... yeah...

As the game went on I realized that you should never hire the voodoo doll, and instead summon it. it is way too slow to keep up with Z (even without her flight upgrade) and it needs to be within 12 inches to hem to the target. so... I sacked the one I hired in favor of one i attached to the strong arm. then it got fun for a while.

Z was in and out of melee with the strong arm and sword vik. they would make some attacks, then I would use Repulsive to bump them away. it was cool. I like the old lady... just need to figure out how to keep her close to combat, but not IN combat so she can mess with people. lol.

the waldgeist was probably the shining star of the game. he held his own in 3 rounds of melee combat with Ama No Zaku and just muscled through it. Also used his terrain to extend his melee reach to deliver message to Viktoria in turn 2! perfect camo is also awesome.

I had fun with the lacrouix brothers.. but they didn't do a whole lot. partly because I had them dropping scheme markers for squatter's rights and my opponent's front line were in melee with either Z or with the Waldgeist, so they couldn't really shoot. Francois did impress me though. he held his own for a gremlin.

Oddly enough, I did end up winning. Since Z and the Waldgeist were so tough to kill (for different reasons of course) no one managed to kill enough stuff to get VP for Reckoning. We both got 2 points for deliver message, and I managed to score squatter's rights. so I narrowly pulled out a victory!

A lot of stuff became apparent after turn two:
1. Z should be close to the action, but you want someone in front of her to soak up those charges.
2. Tarot Reading is needed to keep that voodoo doll alive so you don't have to burn 2 ap to summon a new one more than once in a game.
3. Waldgeist... more like WINNINGeist
4. Gremlins can get expensive quick if you end up only hiring enforcers! (or, I need cheep gremlins)
5. Activation order might be more important with Z than any other master I have played.

So, any tips from you players out there?

• Like 1

No tips, just a kudos for well done, your opp ran an all beatstick crew and there were models he couldn't kill? That's a win in my book :)

Zoraida has access to obscene amount of models with her ability to hire outside her crew pool (second best in game iirc) but other than that I don't know much about her haha

Last night I had my first game with Zoriada (ever) and hired her as a gremlin master. We played 41 ss had Reckoning, and I took deliver message and squatter's rights.

Uggh... just a quick question. 

How can you have both Reckoning and Squatter's Right's in play at the same time? Both are Strategies not Schemes. 

Says the guy who once wanted a Dislike button, so he could dislike the whole Gremlin forums.

I'm also in that boat. At least I still am in that boat rather than a untrustworthy Resser sellout! If Wyrd make a Gremlin / Resser Duel Faction Master I think zFiend would die due to delight overload. 

Another thread successfully derailed. Was I the catalyst this time?

Yeah... I'm afraid so. I've been trying to tone it down and resist derailment but zFiend and Dirial just keep dragging me back in. 

AHHHHHHH!

I'm playing 10 Thunders this week! ... Maybe I should resign and play brewmaster instead of Shenlong....

*bows head in shame and walks away*

Damn right you walk away in shame! Shenlong is the boss! How could you consider Brewie over him?

*points to door* GET OUT!  :D

Well, now that the monkeys have run amok, and I think zFiend got his chum-chum stuck in the keys from the look of it :mellow:  , about Zoraida (from a NB player).

I typically use the same upgrades as you did (but I rarely take Tarot Reading unless I plan to higher Gremlins into my crew preferring the Wings of Darkness flight but that's Neverborn). I use her more as an AP booster to my own side, while using the Voodoo Doll as a defensive maneuver to eliminate an enemy model.

So, if I needed a beater to hit someone again, I could always obey them to do so. If I wanted to really ensure they hit I could obey once to Focus, then Obey a second time (as they haven't attacked yet, so can still be obeyed) to hit. This also works nicely on Friekorp Trappers who enjoy focus + shooting. Same for using my guys to move into position with their own AP, then, if not engaged, I obey them to do an 1AP Interact.

If you want to put the opponent potentially on the back foot, use Bewitch on his big models. It's like a semi-paralyze (mainly psychological). Sure, you can do something with Vik of Blood, but anything you do is going to give me 2 cards. It might not save me, but it might just end up screwing you for doing your action.

Voodoo doll - I buy it in my crew only if I want to have a bit more activation control, or movement control on my own guys. Have the Voodoo, standing with 1" of Zoraida at the start, hem your own friendly. Zoraida activates, and now can take a 1AP interact with Voodoo within 1" to make hem target walk...3 interacts/walks later it's moved up the board. Now Friendly activates, typically 12" to 15" up the board and still has two AP left to use of their own. It's cheaper than using Obey and potentially having to cheat or black joker a flip, you just have to protect your Doll until he recasts hem on a new target, or you 2AP make a new Doll.

Voodoo Doll cont. - Remember they share damage/conditions with hem target. And you can Summon it within 6" LoS. One thing I like to do, if there is high terrain next to me or if I'm already on a building, is summon doll on a 6" high roof (or greater if on it with him). Voodoo Hems a target when he appears. Zoraida can Hex Doll (if it's a Henchman who's low on wounds I like to cheat a  :mask so they can't use Soulstones). Maybe then she hits the doll for damage + poison, or forces the hem target to walk into hazardous terrain, or has a performer nearby that she can use to lure + paralyze the doll, etc, or just targets something else with her AP ignoring the doll.  Voodoo Doll activates, is Slow, makes a 1AP walk, and walks straight off the ledge to his doom taking fall damage (and giving it to his target). Easy 6 damage + Hex.

Remember Zoraida can hire WP 4 models...Resser Nurses are WP 4. Papa Loco is WP 4. Fun thing, Gremlin Zoraida can hire a Nurse, Papa Loco, and Pere Ravage, and have the two suicide bombers amped up on meds to be across the board rather quickly (and a headache for the opponent). Zoraida overall can make things like the Rooster Riders (1AP to Charge) charge on Obeys.

Overall, the hardest thing for me to learn when picking up Zoraida for the first time wasn't the things she could do, but rather, she did her things better when I used them on my own guys, as opposed to the opponent's. Though, sometimes, you just HAVE to obey a Vik of Blood to take a pot shot at Vik of Ash standing next to her. :D

• Like 2