Mr. Graves "Show ya the door"

Ikvar

Question

"(1) Show Ya the Door (Ml 6 / TN: 13 / Rst: Df / Rg: y2):
Push target up to 6" in any direction, then push this model into base contact with the target. This model
may only target a friendly model with this Action once per Turn.
:ram And Stay Out!: After succeeding, take a Fence Post Attack Action
against the target."

I got two questions about this action:

1. Can he target himself, as he himself is a friendly target, and then be able to push himself out of engagement?

2. can he only use it one time on the same model, or only one time to any friendly model?

14 answers to this question

As Dirial stated, it's an attack, so he can't target himself with it. Page 38 of the small rule book, "a model may never target itself with an attack action, unless specifically allowed by another rule." There is no additional ruling allowing him to do so with this attack.

And for question 2, the action itself answers it, "This model may only target a friendly model with this Action once per Turn." 
A 
friendly model...ONCE per turn. Emphasis on "a" and "once." 1 friendly, 1 time a turn.

Request for clarification:

If the wording above is accurate from the card, there appears to be a restriction that only applies when the target is a friendly model. There appears to be nothing in the wording preventing you targeting an enemy model.

If the intention was that only friendly models could be targeted the wording would need to be something like: This model may only target a friendly model with this Action and only once per Turn.

So I'm not really seeing why the consensus seems to be that only friendly models can be targeted. I checked the FAQ and did a forum search that brought back a bunch of topics but non I checked explained why it could only target friendly models.

Request for clarification:

If the wording above is accurate from the card, 

It is my good man!

There appears to be nothing in the wording preventing you targeting an enemy model.

Of course not... It's an attack action. It was designed to be used against enemy models, the restriction on friendly model is to prevent it from throwing 2 of your models up the field for little to no cost at all. 

If the intention was that only friendly models could be targeted the wording would need to be something like: This model may only target a friendly model with this Action and only once per Turn.

True but it's an attack action and most of the time they are designed to be used on enemies. 

So I'm not really seeing why the consensus seems to be that only friendly models can be targeted. I checked the FAQ and did a forum search that brought back a bunch of topics but non I checked explained why it could only target friendly models.

As Dirial states there is no such consensus. I'm not really sure where you are getting this from, perhaps you've totally misread something above? Again... It's designed to be used on enemies. As such it can target BOTH Enemy and Friendly models. The "And Stay Out!" Trigger is proof that this is designed for use against Enemies as does the Friendly Model once per turn restriction. What benefit could that grant on a friendly model by pushing it then smacking it round the head with a Fence Post? This is and has always been designed for use against enemies but as there is a massive movement mechanic built into the action it's also very beneficial to friendly models as well. The restriction of one friendly model per turn is to prevent people from abusing the action and effectively using Graves as a Taxi service for friendly models when the action is intended to isolate enemy models so Graves and Co. can pummel them to death. 

As Dirial states there is no such consensus. I'm not really sure where you are getting this from, perhaps you've totally misread something above? 

Yep, simple misunderstanding. When Dirial said "the latter"  i.e. "only one time to any friendly model" I read that as him saying it could only be used on friendly models. And then CunningStunt (who must be quite the cunning linguist) only spoke about the targeting friendly models scenario. And then Asrian said "A friendly model...ONCE per turn. Emphasis on "a" and "once." 1 friendly, 1 time a turn."

So I don't think it required a total misread to get the wrong end of the stick. At least it wasn't the wrong end of Mr. Graves stick.

Totally understandable. It wasn't well worded on my part. (Difficult to word two words well, isn't it?) I hope it's clear now.

*Whisper* At the cost of smashing one of your dudes for 3/4/6 Damage? Nah!! */Whisper*

Hey, you wanted a benefit, I gave you a benefit. It's not something I would do every time, but smacking an Illuminated in the head (who can heal up, and has Armor to boot) to make Tannen Harmless might be worth it on occasion. It's hilarious either way.

So I don't think it required a total misread to get the wrong end of the stick. At least it wasn't the wrong end of Mr. Graves stick.

Yeah it's understandable I had to re-read a few things because it started to get a bit confusing. Also it's never a pleasurable experience being on the end of that Fence Post! 

Totally understandable. It wasn't well worded on my part. (Difficult to word two words well, isn't it?) I hope it's clear now.

Hey, you wanted a benefit, I gave you a benefit. It's not something I would do every time, but smacking an Illuminated in the head (who can heal up, and has Armor to boot) to make Tannen Harmless might be worth it on occasion. It's hilarious either way.

True, I did ask for a benefit and Illuminated are really the only models I'd consider using the Trigger on when targeting a friendly model because of the Regen +1, Armour +1 and (0) Brillshaper. I wouldn't use this on Lynch or a Beckoner for example! Although it would be VERY funny watching your opponent beat his Lynch to death all game long just to give Tannen Harmless  :D