Tale of Malifaux Bloggers 2

Month 2 will be a very minimal month for me I think.

Looks like I may only do one model now, but a lot next month. I could use Toshiro, Killjoy and many other things I've painted this month but it's not what I envisioned for my personal ToMB more just a nice coincidence that I have painted things that could fit.

Still over a week though so this may all change.

Well I've finished month 2, but month 3 is going to be interesting. Either i finally buy some summons for McMourning, or i get some heavy hitters in the form of a rogue necro and/or Shikome.

Then there's the minor issue of running low on rootbeer bases. I'm going to need a few more before this challenge is done!

Never sure about the transparents. I am a messy painter be terrified of messing them up even with masking...

yours look cool as always though

I just used sticky tape to mask the based when undercoating and then was very carful when actually painting the model. ;) I did make some mistakes, but the paint scrapes off easily enough with a hobby knife.

• Like 1

Tomorrow is hand in day.

I actually need to get some photos done myself.

@Groke

How have you done those awesome spinning pictures?

Great work from everyone so far.

Might write a bonus blog up doing what I originally said and highlight a bit of everyone's work.

Might write an article for Chronicles and see if Aaron likes it.

@Groke

How have you done those awesome spinning pictures?

That deserves a post in itself, but the short version is that I use an arduino microcontroller with a stepper motor and an IR emitter.  I use the stepper motor to turn the model 1/48th of a turn, then use the IR emitter to trigger the camera, and loop for 48 times.  Make sure the camera is on a tripod and on full manual, otherwise you'll get flicker as it auto-chooses slightly different settings each frame.

Then I batch-process it to apply the same cropping and color adjustment to each frame.  Finally, I toss it a blog post with some custom javascript to do the actual spinning.

I'm not entirely satisfied yet.  The lighting isn't right, which is why the backdrop is grey.  I've intended to play with some laser cutting to make the rotation platform -- right now it's just a 30mm base hot-glued to the gear at the end of the motor shaft, and held in a vise.  Then the actual subject gets blue tacked to the base.  That makes it hard to center anything except 30mm, and unsuitable for anything bigger than about 50mm.

Totally going to miss the deadline I think :(  Got one model painted but unless I knock out some traps and count them it's going to be nigh on impossible.

Missing the deadline isn't game over.

Originally I said that there would be a forfeit and I vote that for every day you miss the deadline by (a day's leeway is fine) you need to donate £1 to WAAC

This means that a charity benefits from it and it shouldn't bankrupt you.