Obey + Understudy + Prompt Action

DocSchlock

Question

A model Obeys Cassandra into using Understudy to Prompt Colette.

Obey:"Target non-Leader model immediately performs a
(1) Action chosen and controlled by this model’s
controller. A model which performed an Attack due
to Obey may not be targeted by Obey again during
the same Activation."

Prompt says "Push target other friendly model up to
3" in any direction, then the target may perform a (1) Action."

Does the controller of the Obey choose the Action for Prompt, or can no Prompt action be chosen since the wording of Prompt does not have the same "controller chooses the action" wording as Obey?

10 answers to this question

I see it as follows

Obey Cassy.

Obeyed Cassy takes (1) understudy

Obeyed Cassy casts prompt

Prompted model does what obeyed Cassy tells it to. Since Cassy took the action to cause an action and is still under control of the obeyer.

The chain of control never leaves the obeyer. Since understudy is not finalized till that prompt is.

My thoughts. And how I will play it.

There is no such concept as "chain of control" written in the rules of Malifaux.

The Actions simply do what they say. Prompt lets the model take an action, unless otherwise specified, players control their own models during actions.

:)

• Like 6

I see it as follows

Obey Cassy.

Obeyed Cassy takes (1) understudy

Obeyed Cassy casts prompt

Prompted model does what obeyed Cassy tells it to. Since Cassy took the action to cause an action and is still under control of the obeyer.

The chain of control never leaves the obeyer. Since understudy is not finalized till that prompt is.

My thoughts. And how I will play it.

Prompt merely gives a model permission to take an extra action. That model's controller decides what that model will do if anything. The opponent only has control over the obeyed model. Marcus can't force another enemy model to use Companion after using Alpha on an enemy model. Why should this be any different?

I agree with Godlyness, it's a matter of activation in my mind.  The Obeying model is ultimately the one that is driving everything and would control the Prompted model's action since it's all still derived from the original Obey during that model's activation.

Prompt is friendly only so there can be no confusion over who decides the action.

This doesn't automatically equate to model control, only target eligibility.  If Mama Z was Obeying Cassy to Understudy and wanted Cassy to use her newly acquired Prompt on one of Mama Z's crew models, that'd be a no-go since you don't change who you're friendly to when controlled.

I agree with Godlyness, it's a matter of activation in my mind.  The Obeying model is ultimately the one that is driving everything and would control the Prompted model's action since it's all still derived from the original Obey during that model's activation.

You don't control enemy models that have to take Horror duels during your action. Why should this be any different?

You don't control enemy models that have to take Horror duels during your action. Why should this be any different?

Yes you do. I my Zoraida obeys your model to walk into engagement with my terrifying model, I control the model and get to cheat the horror duel down

Yes you do. I my Zoraida obeys your model to walk into engagement with my terrifying model, I control the model and get to cheat the horror duel down

I was referring to more of a Widow Weaver or Pandora type of interaction, where one of the effects or triggers of the action forces the enemy model to take a Horror Duel. Clearly I didn't express myself perfectly.