Crew selection help - Colette Reckoning?

Haunter

Greetings Hivemind,

I'm a relative newbie prepping for a game against another relative newbie this weekend.  We've already drawn strats/schemes and we've got:

Reckoning

ALITS

Breakthrough

Distract

Murder Protege

Vendetta

I'm reasonably sure my opponent will be running Seamus with CCK, Sybelle, Bete Noire and some Belles and Doxies.  Limited model selection, though there's always room for surprises!

I'm bringing Colette with... um... some friends?  I'm struggling with just what to bring.  I've got a somewhat limited pool, and some possible loaners from a friend.  Conventional wisdom for Reckoning is to maximize Big Hitty Models, is it not?  

The front runner contenders for my crew are some combination of Cassandra, Howard, Joss, Mech Rider, Blessed of December, December Acolyte, Convict Gunslinger.  Those are pretty much the 7SS+ models at my disposal.

Things I'm unsure of:

Model count - I can build a crew with ~4-5 models.  Too few?  I worry about being badly outactivated.

Getting facerolled with Lure - he tends to bring 2-3 Belles because that's what he has on hand.  If one of my high value models gets pounce partied, I can quickly lose a quarter of my crew!

Seamus is going to shoot holes in my everything.  It's that thing he does.  Again, few high value targets = greater risk.  Any tricks or suggestions on shutting him down?

How vital is Terrifying to Howie's survival?  It's only vs. Living, which... well, his crew is not.

Is Mech Rider a liability given that a big part of her cool factors is borking out new constructs for the last half of the game?  I don't really want to give him a bunch of easy targets.  Is she worth her stones if I don't use her (0)?  Decent damage, decent resilience, hilariously awful triggers, but is she worth it?

I was pondering a couple Frozen Heart models to help get around Seamus and Sybelle's Terrifying.  Plus, they seem reasonably hitty.  Worthwhile or insufficient?

I thought Joss's ability to ignore HtW on his arc axe would be nice... and if he can chokeslam, then who cares about HtW!  

Convict Gunslinger was a late add because I just realized I had her.  Seems pretty shooty, which might be helpful.

Cassandra just seems reasonably solid all around, and just seems right with Colette.

Schemewise I'm torn between a couple choices.  Going with the Colette special - ALITS and Breakthrough - take the fight to his doorstep ASAP, and poop some markers as I do so.  Breakthrough would lend itself to Mech Rider fighting near his deployment zone because she can complete the scheme while trying to kill things for Reckoning!  Alternatively, Murder Protege (probably Sybelle) and Vendetta on whatever looks most workable might make sense because Reckoning is all about killing stuff anyway.

I would love any thoughts, suggestions, feedback.  Thanks gang.

Joss and Howard are both fine choices here. Howard's survivability comes mostly from speed and killyness, not terrifying. He should do fine and Joss is good for the exact reasons you listed yourself.

In addition to those two I would choose Cassandra and Blessed of December. Cassandra is very survivable is you manage to activate her early in turn and don't run her in the middle of enemy's crew. Blessed can do what she does well and hang on the sidelines, hunt lone models and run schemes for you.

If you are worried about being out activated, you can just summon pidgeons with Colette and hide them somewhere. They are usually fast enough to survive if you don't leave them open to lure.

For schemes I would go with breakthrough and ALITS/Vendetta/Murder Protege depending on opponent's crew. Sybelle should be easy enough to take down with this crew for example.

• 2 weeks later...

If taking Cassandra in reckoning I'd recommend Seize the Day. It helps ensure you can activate her early to get that southern charm up. Although in my experience Miss Step is often in a position where she wants to activate first too (since I'm often very agressive with her). 

I would also recommend a december acolyte for reckoning. Amazing with prompt - really destructive, and they can remove hard to wound and stuff.

And don't forget the slow trigger on the Acolyte. Putting slow on key models (and in theory it could be up to 12? in a single turn) can go a long way to blunt your opponents plan. Joss, Howard, Acolyte and Cassandra would probably be my starting point. Another thing to consider is Metal Gamins if you want some cheap activations. They can be a real pain to deal with.

So, the game has come and gone, and through a few reasonably astute moves on my part, and a couple of critical errors on my opponents, I romped and stomped my way to an 8-4 victory.

I ended up taking Breakthrough (declared) and Murder Protege (declared).

My crew was (to the best of memory):

Colette

-Seize the Day (very worthwhile for 1SS)

-Shell Game (I was underwhelmed with the prompt surge)

Cassie 

-Smoke & Mirrors (which I totally forgot about all game)

Joss

Miss Step

Blessed of December

December Acolyte

vs.

Seamus (Haberdasher, Sininster Rep, Corpse Bloat)

Sybelle (Bleeder Lash, Decaying Aura)

Copy Cat Killer

Belle

Belle

Belle

Dead Doxie

Bete Noire (Unnerving Aura)

... plus a couple more summoned Belles.

His fatal error was over-committing to a long feint - he walked a Doxie down the empty flank to fake ALITS or Breakthrough.  I countered with Cassie.  He sent Seamus and CCK to kill her... and got bogged down for a completely unexpected 3 turns trying to finish her off.  Cassie tanked like a boss (and Fate must have found the match up amusing because he missed with 2 Seamus handcannon shots while Cassie top decked just about every high card I could wish for).

Honorable mention to the December Acolyte who also exceeded his life expectancy by a turn.  Just long enough for me to get the hammer blow of Miss Step, Joss, Blessed and Colette into my opponent's line.

I was really pleased with each model I took.  They each did something important and meaningful.  There were no loser models I wished I hadn't taken, even though Cassie and the Acolyte didn't get to do a lot of their offensive tricks.  This was my first time running... um... almost all of these models, so it was a good field test.

• Like 1