Neverborn:How to cope with ressers?

TychoTerziev

I Always take Collodi against Ressers. Because I like these Situations. 

Crew - "Sorry, I don't have living models, make corpse marker by your own models."

Collodi - "Now this model get Slow, and I can make this model (1) Action for me..."

(by Pull the Strings Triggers)

Widow Weaver - "Could I borrow some corpse marker? I'll show cute bear to you."

(by Handbag Upgrade)

Arcane Effigy - "Your condition debuff is futile."

(Collodi can take any puppet model in his Crew except voodoo doll, Arcane Effigy can remove condition.)

Carrion Effigy - "hmmm.... Your corpse marker tastes like Chicken..." 

(Collodi can take any puppet model in his Crew except voodoo doll, Carrion Effigy make Leader can discard corpse marker to heal him/herself)

Stitched Together - "So, How is this model's Df?"

(Gamble your Life is Df Casting Attack)

and more... 

• Like 1

I Always take Collodi against Ressers. Because I like these Situations. 

Collodi - "Now this model get Slow, and I can make this model (1) Action for me..."

(by Pull the Strings Triggers)

Nicodem says Thank you. I'll just make my crew ignore your slow completely.

I 'd have thought that was a pretty hard counter to one of Collidis main strengths.

Nicodem says Thank you. I'll just make my crew ignore your slow completely.

I 'd have thought that was a pretty hard counter to one of Collidis main strengths.

I think you forget something.

Death's Whip works to only undead models. And Nicodem, Mortimer and his Vultures are living. So I like to hit them.

And Beckoner's Lure / Vasilisa's Obey and something more are useful against Death's Whip :aura.

But most important thing is Carrion Effigy, Collodi's best counter against Ressers.

By Carrion Effigy + Fated, every buffed minion and puppet can discard a Corpse Marker at start of its activation.

And It's Diminished Resistance :aura makes opponent's models lose Immunity to Horror Duels, Slow, Paralyzed, Poison.

This Trick's Problems are Simple. I must run my crew near Nicodem and protect my carrion effigy. But if it works.....

I played a very good game against Razhem last year. It was Recconoiter and he brought Kirai. My take was Lilith with a hyper-aggressive plan.

Lilith -- 6 Pool
+Beckon Malifaux [1]

Primordial Magic [2]
Killjoy [13]
Nekima [13]
+Pact [1]
+The True Mother [2]
Terror Tot [4]
Terror Tot [4]
Terror Tot [4]
Terror Tot [4]

Kirai Ankoku -- 6 Pool
+Spirit Beacon [1]
+Swirling Aether [2]
+Unforgiven [2]

Lost Love [4]
Datsue Ba [8]
+Spirit Whispers [1]
Flesh Construct [6]
Izamu the Armor [10]
+Decaying Aura [2]
Night Terror [3]
Night Terror [3]
Rotten Belle [5]

After first turn maneuvering I launched a full scale attack against his key models during the end of Turn2. A Transpositioned Nekima charged in the middle and killed Lost Love and a Seishin with Blood For Blood. True Mother yielded a new Terror Tot but I just killed it instantly with my last AP to get out Killjoy who started to eat Kirai. The retaliatory Ikiryo wasn't enough to kill Killjoy in one go. And of course Black Blood was all over the place during this battle. Next round I killed Kirai AND Datsue Ba during the first Activation with Nekima. (Please note: Black Blood doesn't trigger Malevolence and with so huge models you can easily deny LoS to the attacked model from Kirai or Lost Love which also neutralizes the Ability.)

At this point Razhem would like to give up the game but I successfully convinced him to continue. And I was right since thanks to his good play, some crappy cards and minor mistakes on my part during the second half the game ended with a 8-7 victory for the Ressers. So all in all my plan didn't yield a victory but it was a very close fight and could go either way. I think this kind of approach is a viable solution against the summoning threat especially if Assassinate is in the pool.

Or not.  Lilith is the only NB master with good LoS control which can hard for ressers.

In general Ressers want to make the game about trading.  When you get free models and they don't trading 1 for 1 is great for you.  Lilith is one of the few NB masters who can deny that with Illusionary Forest, Tangle Shadows and Transfixing Gaze.  If you try to make it about a grand melee, she's going to have a problem. 

Illusionary Forest (and the Waldegeists' trees too) work wonders against Ressers. They are slow to begin with (most of times) and all of that extra terrain can make things even harder for them. Lilth's trees blocks LOS and can be placed so far away makes things even harder. Some great points there Mastershake!

In my experience Ressers and Neverborn match-up pretty evenly. Armour (like Izamu) and the Drowned might be some of the best counters for Ressers against the melee heavy Neverborn. Both factions got lots of WP tricks, and both have masters that have their strengths and weaknesses against that. McMourning and Lilith comes to mind. When facing a savvy Resser opponent that will field or summon those kind of models, Eye of Retribution on Teddy or the Strongarm Suit might be good counters. In these aspects, its simple Malifaux. You will have to balance your attack and guess to some extent what the opponent will bring.

In the original post, it seemed like that it was summoning was a big problem. Taelor from the Outcasts can be an easy solution to that problem. In general I would suggest that one attack the opposing master and important models. Then the opponent must waste her high cards instead of having those to summon with. Making the opponent waste Soulstones follows the same logic. Also, if a resser player is simply summoning for the sake of doing so, most of the time that is equal to digging their own grave. They can spend their Ap and cards on doing better things than that. Like getting VP.